What is HPT 366?

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: What is HPT 366?

Post by hyperspace »

Owe wrote:1) Well, the name of the topic. :) I'm new to BP6 so I would appreciate an answer. Thx!

2) How large disks can a BP6 handle? What's max?

1) On-board, High-Speed ATA/66 controller from High-Point Technologies.

2) Not sure what the max is. I think many BP6ers are using 40GB drives, may be some 80 GB drives (not sure about this).

More information here:

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=968
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
johnli

Post by johnli »

I've used an 80GB drive on it, so I'm pretty sure it can take them. As far as I know it has no maximum beyond any other current motherboard.
Regards,
John
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

johnli wrote:I've used an 80GB drive on it, so I'm pretty sure it can take them. As far as I know it has no maximum beyond any other current motherboard.
Thanx for the feedback, johnli!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

On paper the HPT can go to close to 200gigs (187 maybe?).

The BP6 is old, but not ancient, it should be able to handle HDs just like any other modern mobo.

Otherwise, just buy an IDE controller card :)
-Derek
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Owe wrote:I thought of that derek. A controller card by promise. It costs 500 SEK (swedish crowns) - that's about $45 USD.

However, you can't just compare like that, everything's relative. :D
You're absolutely correct, but, you can't compare the performance of the HPT to the Promise controller either ;)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Owe wrote:So the HPT366 (which I think is IDE3 & 4 after reading these threads) is better than a regular IDE controller?

Lot's of people wrote that one should stay away from using the HPT366. Or are they wrong?
Let me put it this way: I haven't used the HPT for quite some time :) What hard drives are you going to install in your BP6 machine?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The speed of the new drives is amazing; it wouldn't do them justice to put them on anything other than a fast Promise controller.

If you don’t buy a controller with the drives hook them up to the regular IDE ports on the BP6.
-Derek
loophole

Post by loophole »

The HPT366 controller should be able to handle drives up to and including 137GB but no greater because it doesn't have 48bit addressing. For drives bigger than that you will need an ATA-133 controller (or perhaps some boot utility made by your hard disk manufacturer that fools the HPT366 bios into working with larger disks).
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

By all means get a Promise ATA133 card and forget the Western Digital drives too.
The Maxtor 7200/8MB cache drives are so much quieter they are well worth the few dollard more!!
Zero point energy