CDROM on standard IDE not listed in BIOS, but seen by Win2K!

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
Wolfram

CDROM on standard IDE not listed in BIOS, but seen by Win2K!

Post by Wolfram »

Just found something strange when I tried to re-install Mandrake 9.1 via bootable CDROM. The CDROM (CDRW burner) did not boot, because it is connected as primary master on the standard IDE, and that was set to "none" in the BIOS setup. But the drive had worked fine in Windows! I thought Win2K couldn´t "see" that drive if it was not listed in the BIOS... strange!
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Derek
Site Admin

Re: CDROM on standard IDE not listed in BIOS, but seen by Wi

Post by Derek »

Wolfram wrote:Just found something strange when I tried to re-install Mandrake 9.1 via bootable CDROM. The CDROM (CDRW burner) did not boot, because it is connected as primary master on the standard IDE, and that was set to "none" in the BIOS setup. But the drive had worked fine in Windows! I thought Win2K couldn´t "see" that drive if it was not listed in the BIOS... strange!
The drive will be detected in Windows, but you won't be able to boot from the drive if it isn't detected by the BIOS.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i've noticed this fro mall my cdroms on my bp6

for some reason they will not detect in the bios

*shrug*
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
nullshark

Post by nullshark »

ATAPI devices aren't detected in the BIOS and setting the spot where your CDROM is to NONE is usually fine (Windows detects them fine). Try setting the Primary Master to AUTO and BIOS will detect it just after POST (you'll actually see the statement "Detecting Primary Master..." And then it will list your CDROM).

Hope that does the trick.
On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hmm this is an interesting theory
... something to look in to
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit