which card should i use

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
vgoraz

which card should i use

Post by vgoraz »

well here is the deal, i have a lot of computer equipment laying around, i realized i have a pci geforce2 mx 400 that is doing nothing but collecting dust. in my bp6 right now i have an agp tnt2 in there. would it be worthwhile to switch it out for the geforce2?

i do have a free pci slot. hell i have an extra 17 inch monitor that i could hook up and have both running at the same time. my desk doesnt have room for them both, but its still an enticing option. anyways though, yeah i am sitting here with a screw driver and lots of free time. would like to get some feedback from you guys though. so off to play planeshift for awhile
johnli

Post by johnli »

I'd put them both in, in my experience dual monitors increases productivity more than any other change you could make to your PC.
Regards,
John
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

well my previous computer (which interestingly was a pentium3-500) i had set up with dual monitors. that was with a 15 inch lcd monitor and a 17 inch crt monitor. it fit nicely on my desk and all.
now though my main monitor is a 21 inch nec XE21 (pretty sucky 21 inch monitor but hey its massive and a pretty good match for the tnt2). i do not think i can fit the 17 inch monitor on this desk without a large amount of rearranging of things. besides the 17 incher wont handle the resolutions i would like to use on the 21 incher (neither can the tnt2 either actually).
so while nice, i am really looking for just more fps out of this computer. something to help run fifa 2003 a bit better and yes doom 3 eventually comes out and i will most likely try and play it on the bp6
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

vgoraz

you can have 2 different resolutions while running dual monitors

whichever card has more onboard ram, i'd use that one
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

ok i have come to the conclusion the pci geforce2mx 400 doesnt work. when i put it in the system i am unable to get either it or the agp tnt2 to work. once i remove it though the agp tnt2 works. when i take out the tnt2 and put just the geforce2 in (and yes i took everything else out of the motherboard and tried it on all pci slots), i found the none of them did anything except for the first pci slot (the one next to the agp) which caused it to do a long beep and then three short beeps.

i then put the agp tnt2 back in and changed all the settings in the bios between init boot (or something like that in the integrated peripherals section) to pci, tried everything again, still didnt work, so put the tnt2 back in and had it work (even though its still in pci mode apparently.

so yeah i dont know what else to do, i guess it could simply mean my card is dead. kind of sucks to as well it was a great card and i was looking forward to dual monitor goodness
johnli

Post by johnli »

That's the old No GFX Beep, IIRC. Shame about the card, dual monitor rocks :(.

For reference, the VGA INIT First PCI|AGP option just sets which one to try first, and if it can't find the one specified, it automatically tries the next.
Regards,
John
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Hmmm....

I wonder if it is a matter of manually setting IRQ's for the graphics cards. :?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

well i have no idea why the card would be dead, it was fine last time i used it (which was many months back), for some reason now though it wont work. even when i put an agp card in with it, it doesnt let the agp card work for some reason as i have been able to see anything with it in and also the tnt2 in also. its rather puzzling. i will try some more things out later tonight