About to scrap hpt366

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
johnli

Post by johnli »

Personally I've not had a single problem using it, RU bios, never flashed, nor have I had to do any of the cap mods, but I seem to be the lucky minority, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.
Regards,
John
boostland

Post by boostland »

The performance of the Hpt366 with Xp is half of onboard ATA33,s.
The speed of the hpt366 is pathetic with my Maxtor 80gb Ata133 drive.
Even a 2.5 year old 20gb 7200 quantum is restricted on the Hpt366 controller.
Try doing a Ghost from disk to disk on on the hpt366, it also gets about half of the megabytes/min than the onboard ATA33.
I have tried different bios's, drivers, Udma settings, cables and drives.
I have come to the conclusion that the hpt366 is only suited to old 5400 rpm drives.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I have heard no end of horror stories on this messageboard about the HPT366 controller. I would never use it for anything. Like boostland, I did some comparisons before I switched to the ATA33 controller, and found out that the HPT was a POS.

I now use a Promise Ultra ATA100 TX2 card.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Promise is the way to go.
-Derek
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Yay! Success story!

mark245: Your last post should be tattooed onto the inner eyelids of every BP6 user. :twisted:
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too good, InactiveX!
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_flames

Post by the_flames »

I'm also a user that uses the Hpt366 for my hdd's , using 2k and the hpt drivers off this site and it stable for me (in that aspect atleast :) ) I should stop playing with my registry when my pc is working well :)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

To all you guys who still run read/write drives on the HPT366 and feel safe ---I once met a guy in New Mexico who found a rattlesnake & decided he could make it into a pet. He claimed it was safe and by not having any fear he could handle it & not be bitten. He seemed to be right for the first day anyway. I few days later I heard he was in the hospital from a severe rattlesnake bite. The HPT366 is a rattlesnake.
genseng

Post by genseng »

i had used the hpt366 controller for 3 years in NT 4.0, win2k, XP and linux. never had a problem but some of the stories here put the fear in me. i just new that one day i'd wake up and that report i needed to print would be corrupt on the disc. i'm currently using a silicon image product but i'm going to replace it with a maxtor (promise) card.