Running Dual Pentium III FC-PGA CPU's on the BP6.

Frequently asked questions about the BP6.

Moderator: hyperspace

hyperspace
Board Admin

Running Dual Pentium III FC-PGA CPU's on the BP6.

Post by hyperspace »

Can I use dual Pentium III FC-PGA CPU's on the BP6?

Sort of. The Pentium III FC-PGA CPU's cB0 stepping and above will work on the BP6 in a single CPU mode using a PowerLeap Neo S370 adapter. However, some BP6 users have been able to modify the mainboard and the PowerLeap Neo S370 adapter to get SMP to work. Unfortunatley, stability becames a big problem at FSB speeds above 66MHz. PowerLeap has planned to release a new Neo S370+ adapter to allow dual Pentium III's to work on the BP6.

If you are serious about dual Pentium III FC-PGA CPU's. check out these references:

Yoichiro's BP6 Modification Guide

Anton Tomov's BP6 Modification Guide

Derek's Most Xcellent Original Dual PIII Notes
Last edited by hyperspace on Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

ciajeff wrote:so if i use PowerLeap PL-370/SMP
is that work? :shock:
With a little bit of effort it should work as planned.

If you need some help you can post your questions on the message board or search some of the articles on this site.

Let us know how it goes.
mariner

Another Powerleap Neo s370 situation

Post by mariner »

Hope y'all don't mind me piggy-backing on your thread.

My dual Celery 366@550 is finally in need of an upgrade. I checked out the Lin Lin, upgradeware and Powerleap. After reading the PL manual, I chose the PL-Neo s370.

Since I wanted to keep my SMP going, and the manual says that is a possibility with the PIII providing the correct processor stepping is used (bottom of page 5).

So I hotfooted it over to the Intel site to check the PIII Spec Update 24445348. There it was right there on page 8, PIII FC-PGA 370 1.10GHz cD0 100MHzFSB, when run in tandem, are DP certified (well, it actually said there were "no known issues" with a DP configuration). On page 16 I saw that the s-spec was SL5QW. So I decided to try the PL-Neo s370 with those PIIIs.

I gathered all the hardware and then the fun began. In the instructions for the PL adapter it says they don't support SMP; contrary to what is stated in the manual available on the website. I forged on.

I set my voltage to 1.75v. I removed my beloved Celerys and tossed in the new stuff. Wham! Not even a POST! Blank monitor! The adapter light comes on and cpu #2 gets hot. Removed one of the PIIIs. Same result. I half expected to have problems with the OS loading on 1 cpu because my Win2k install has the 2 cpu HAL installed. However, it never got that far.

When I replaced my Celerys to check the BIOS, the voltage was back to 2.0v. Somehow, the BIOS or adapter changed it from 1.75v where I had it set.

I did my homework. Read the manual, checked out the PIII Spec Update, and still roadblocks. I had read all the stuff about hacking the adapter and the mobo. But being an optimist, I believed the manual and the Spec Update.

OK folks, where do I go now? Can I advance to GO and collect the $200 I have put out so far?

I will continue to tinker and await your comments and an answer to my question to the PL support folks.

mariner
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I don't recall anyone getting dual PIII's running without some sort of modifications. You can modify the mainbaord and it's sockets or use the PL Neo-S370 adapters on the mainboard. The latter will still require modifications, if you want to run dual.
Last edited by hyperspace on Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
mariner

Post by mariner »

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. I was just hoping that since documentation from both Intel and Powerleap says that combo should work, that it would; silly me. I'll discuss it with the PL support folks. No reason for the combo to not work.

I tried the "Derek's Most Xcellent Original Dual PIII Notes" but the link was dead. Is there a new link?

Thanks for the reply hyperspace.

mariner
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I sent a message to Derek about the broken links. Thanx for bringing this to our attention. Derek will be back on the 13th. Should have those working after he returns.
Last edited by hyperspace on Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
mariner

Post by mariner »

Well, I flashed an RU BIOS that Powerleap sent me. No luck, still just a black screen.

I was able to get partial functionality from a single PIII in the #1 socket. Partial because I could only use 75MHz FSB and get only 825MHz from a 1.10GHz PIII.

Anything over 75MHz FSB and it locks up during the POST.

Maybe a few days of burn-in will help. Or maybe I have some weak caps.

mariner
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

What voltage are you running the PIII with?
-Derek
mariner

Post by mariner »

1.75V

Maybe it wasn't meant to be. I'm having a lot of trouble getting past the OS boot sequence. Right now I'm at 66MHz FSB and running 700MHz. Maybe this board needs to be retired.

EDIT:
WCPUID reports 735MHz and a FSB of 69MHz.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Use the Pentium III BIOS from this site, and make sure the jumper on the NEO is set to 100MHz.

The links are working again by the way.
-Derek
mariner

Post by mariner »

I will give it a try. It may be a few days before I get it flashed, but I'll report the results.

I set the jumbers to 100MHz before installing the processors. It would be too much trouble to get them off if one forgot to do that:)

mariner
mariner

Post by mariner »

OK, I flashed the bp6p3hpt code this morning.

Right now I am running one 1.1GHz coppermine PIII in socket #1 with the PL-Neo s370 adapter. CPU is fully seated and jumper is set to 100MHz FSB.

Before that I was running the standard RU code and coule hit 85MHz FSB and rarely 90 and 95; never 100 though.

Now I still can't POST with 100FSB. Also can't POST with 95. 85 & 90FSB will POST but will not boot the OS (Win2K).

I dropped down to 66FSB to boot and am running there right now.

I tried a few BIOS tweaks and then reloaded the defaults, no luck, the same result.

Looks like the p3 code is not as good, or I have not found the optimal BIOS settings, or both.

Paul Langtry, a PL tech, has been very responsive and helpful, and is setting up a BP6 board at his office to try and help.

Any ideas or recommendations would greatly appreciated. But it looks like I am having the same results as others.
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

What revision board are you using?
mariner

Post by mariner »

:? I knew someone was gonna ask that. I mean to look everytime I shut down but always forget :x

I'll dig out my mirror and check when I get home.

The PL tech hit my thread at Anandtech and said he has set his BP6 board up and should have some information by Monday.

mariner
mariner

Post by mariner »

version 1.0
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

Have a look at your VTT voltages in the Bios, and let us know how far they are fluctuating....highest and lowest etc.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

You could try clocking to 100MHz once Windows has loaded using BP6FSB.

http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?acti ... y&cat_id=7
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
mariner

Post by mariner »

VTT voltages range from 1.47 to 1.52. Most of the time between 1.48 and 1.50.

CPU temp is 50C. How high does it have to be to interfer with booting?

I reflashed bp6p3hpt because I was only able to boot 66MHz last night using the standard RU code. I was able to boot to various stages this morn using FSB from 66-85, but only completely at 66MHzFSB. This is a change from 85FSB complete boot when I first flashed the RU code last week. So, the situation is getting worse.

I will try the BP6FSB and see what happens.
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

The Coppermine P3s are more sensitive to the VTT supplied to them. I would try doing the EC10 and the Q6 regulator modification as shown in Yoichiro's guide. That will get 1 CPU working, as for 2.........things start to get a little more complex!
mariner

Post by mariner »

Anyone got a good link for bp6fsb?

I tried many links but they were all broke; even one of this site and one at the Powerleap site.

As for the EC10/Q6 mod, I have never done any micro-soldering like that and don't have the equipment. I was considering letting one of services do this. I think there is a guy who will do all caps, etc for about $55. That's prolly what it would cost me for the tools and materials; and then I would have to get lucky. Maybe I can find someone locally to do it for materials.

I will not be satisfied with only 1 cpu working. But if I can get 1 working at 1GHz without spending anymore money I will "take the money and run." I've already dropped about $200 on this upgrade (=IC7 Max3!); partly our of curiosity, and part of me couldn't see tossing a board with life still left in it.

mariner
mariner

Post by mariner »

Using speedfan I can set the FSB to 100MHz. I'm a little worried that I can't monitor the temps because the sensor is below the PL adapter.

Maybe this is the only solution; boot up at a low FSB and reset it after booting. Then before shutting down, reset the lower FSB.

mariner

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I'm using CPUIdle Pro, so my processors run a little cooler. Also, I'm using MBM and the temps don't match up with the speedfan temps completely. For speedfan I get 93, 106, 115F for temps 1-3; with MBM I get 107 for mobo, 98 for cpu1 and 89 for cpu2.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

mariner wrote:Anyone got a good link for bp6fsb?

I tried many links but they were all broke; even one of this site and one at the Powerleap site.
The link I posted above works.
mariner

Post by mariner »

Yeah, my connection was funny for a while. I found out after I posted last that I had to hang up and redial to straighten things out. I have bp6fsb now, along with speedfan. Thanks.

Speedfan and bp6fsb don't always recognize each others changes competely. Strange.

mariner
mariner

Post by mariner »

Well, a tech at Powerleap did some PL-Neo s370 testing on a BP6. As most BP6ers already knew, he was unable to achieve functional dual procs. He sent me this email.

"Hello Norm,
I hate to be the bearer of bad new, but I couldn't get it runinng. My engineers swore that a mod was needed, btu I had to try anyway. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance. I'd be happy to do the mods for you if you like. You would just need to take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested. Please post this on the Anandtech site as well. I would be happy to help anyone else as well.

Paul"

That's great support!

However, since I was unable to boot even 1 cpu at anywhere near the full 100MHzFSB, I suspect that same would occur with the mod unless some caps were also replaced. And even then there are no guarantees.

Still, the online Neo s370 manual states the adapters will do dual procs.

Has anyone everheard of these adapters doing DP on any board??

----------End of Story----------

mariner
(aka Norm)