BP6 BIOS Beep Codes

Frequently asked questions about the BP6.

Moderator: hyperspace

Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

see if it wants to post, betterer, with no hdd or cd or fdd plugged.
you mentione dthe psu not like the hdd ... ?
I had a psu that was getting flaky, and too much draw on the power meant no post.
took me ages to figure out why it would boot with no hdd but not with.
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Thanks Hyperspace, Dave,
The PSU is only a 250W Antec, but I've used it to run my MSI 694D with all the bits and pieces from my BP6 system, including the dual celerons, hard drive, etc. I'm going to submit it for RMA as I have my original receipt (I keep everything) and see if they'll fix it or offer credit. I would rather have the board working than the $140 credit.

-kat

http://torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=t ... &id=266201
EC10 cap is black and smaller than the others nearby. Sticker on ISA slot says "V1.0".
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Well, I submitted an RMA today after finding my receipt and received this on the following webpage/email and it seems promising. We'll see. After looking at my receipts for my BP6 and its replacement, the MSI 694D, I find the BP6 lasted only one year! I didn't remember that. That stinks! I blamed myself for killing it at the time, not knowing that there was the potential for a serious bad cap problem.

Thanks for your RMA request.
Your request number is RXXXXXXXXX. Please don't ship your Item until you receive our further notice through email.
Dear Xxxx Xxxxxxx,
Based on the information you submitted:
Item: BP6 BP6-XXXXXXXXX
In Wnty: Y; Missing SN: N; Original Invoice Available: Y; No Physical Damage: Y
"PLEASE DO NOT SHIP YOUR BOARD BACK UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR RMA NUMBER."
Your request has been preliminarily validated and shall be processed accordingly. Please note this reply serves only as a record to confirm the receipt of your request. Please wait for a further confirmation, which takes normally 2 hours during working days, for the assinged RMA number and further insructions on processing your case.
EC10 cap is black and smaller than the others nearby. Sticker on ISA slot says "V1.0".
NiNETY

Post by NiNETY »

i too am having a simular problem.. system boots iregularly.. and only recognizes one CPu... any comments??

ryan
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

NiNETY wrote:i too am having a simular problem.. system boots iregularly.. and only recognizes one CPu... any comments??

ryan
Ryan, you signed up for a while but welcome with your first post.

You didn't give a lot of background info. Of course the first recomendation is check the settings in your BIOS(cause thats the easiest) followed by check your caps.

Are you running at 66FSB with 2.0V on both CPUs? If so and your caps look ok then you will have to try each CPU by itself to see if a ZIF or celeron is bad. Don't be very supprised if both CPUs and ZIFs work in when solo. That is one of the signs of bad caps...and we all know that caps can be bad even if they don't look bad.

David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Sorry I haven't kept everyone updated on my BP6 return/replacement saga in case anyone else wants to do it. Abit sent me a UPS label so I packed up the motherboard in its original box and boxed that up and sent it to them in California. I got a few conflicting (and sometimes confusing) emails from Helen at Abit saying different things, like I could get a nicer motherboard if I paid them the difference; I could get a video card; I could get a refund on the difference if the new board were cheaper; I could pick any currently-available Abit motherboard; etc. The most recent email simply gave me a list of motherboards from which to choose:
NF7-S2G
VA-20
IS7-E2
SG-72
KV8-PRO
NF8-V
AG8
AV8

I asked for the AV8 because I'd like to try 64-bit. Abit's website says the board will support dual-core (X2), so if I ever feel like donating a kidney, I could get a "sort of" dual system again. :P I can't believe my BP6 lasted only one year. It seemed like longer because I played with it so much...
-kat
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Sorry I haven't kept everyone updated on my BP6 return/replacement saga in case anyone else wants to do it. Abit sent me a UPS label so I packed up the motherboard in its original box and boxed that up and sent it to them in California. I got a few conflicting (and sometimes confusing) emails from Helen at Abit saying different things, like I could get a nicer motherboard if I paid them the difference; I could get a video card; I could get a refund on the difference if the new board were cheaper; I could pick any currently-available Abit motherboard; etc. The most recent email simply gave me a list of motherboards from which to choose:
NF7-S2G
VA-20
IS7-E2
SG-72
KV8-PRO
NF8-V
AG8
AV8

I asked for the AV8 because I'd like to try 64-bit. Abit's website says the board will support dual-core (X2), so if I ever feel like donating a kidney, I could get a "sort of" dual system again. :P I can't believe my BP6 lasted only one year. It seemed like longer because I played with it so much...
-kat
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

katapaltes,
you didn't say how long ago you shipped it.

Abit took several weeks to return hyperspace and my boards.

anyway good luck on the new board.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
katapaltes

Post by katapaltes »

Sorry, I must not have gotten an email indicating someone had replied to the post. I'm sitting here typing on my AV8-based system running Mac OS X. It's fast, with its Venice-core 3000+ CPU. Trouble is, I had to buy that CPU, some dual-channel RAM, and a bigger PSU to make it all work. And the AV8 wasn't new, as far as I can tell, so who knows how long it will last before it too dies... Funny, the box states proudly "100% Japanese capacitors." :D

Anyone getting a new board from Abit might want to consider asking for one with the biult-in GMA900 (or whatever it is) video if you want to run Mac OS X on it even if it's not on the list they send you of replacement boards. I would have chosen one of those if I'd known. Right now I'm running OS X with no video acceleration and I'm contemplating buying yet another mobo to get that.

Oh.. Almost forgot. Abit sent me the same email over and over, asking me which mobo I wanted in replacement. I kept emailing back, saying the same thing over and over. Weird.

Anyway, my BP6 days are officially over... :( Send any questions regarding my RMA experience to this board and follow up at katapaltes@hotmail.com if you don't get a post back from me.

Cheers,
-kat
ZRacer

Post by ZRacer »

Ok so basically my BP6 cannot be replaced or repaired by ABit?