Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The RU version would be the one to use.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

The type of RAM you are using, may be what they call, high-density, RAM. When the BP6 was being developed and tested, that type of RAM was not available. So, they will not work in the BP6. You can use 256MB RAM sticks that are single or double-density SDRAM DIMMS.

There is no BIOS revision that will support this type of RAM. The mainboards RAM circuitry would have to be redesigned.

Anyone up for a new mainboard modification? :twisted:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Here's one site that has high and low-density RAM:

http://www.sona.ca/sona/products/config/rm.html

...google search...
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Standard RU BIOS that has been modify to support Pentium III processors. Only other difference is the updated HPT366 BIOS.
Last edited by hyperspace on Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

Re the ROBY2 RU, I run RU/hpt1.22 and use the hpt controller. (I moved a drive there for a performance test and was so happy I left it there) . Has ROBY 2 code got good reviews from celeron users?
nilnet

smp on a budget
BP6/C400/SMP/320M/Voodoo3/Slackware10.1/XP//OS2/Knoppix
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

nilnet wrote:Re the ROBY2 RU, I run RU/hpt1.22 and use the hpt controller. (I moved a drive there for a performance test and was so happy I left it there) . Has ROBY 2 code got good reviews from celeron users?
The performance will remain the same throughout the RU revisions on the processor side of things; the only difference between the original RU and Roby's RU is that Roby's has integrated Pentium3 support and updated the Highpoint-Tech onboard firmware.
rothpada wrote:I'm sure this is a total newbie question, but I have LP bios. Can I upgrade to RU? I'm a little confused about the four different bios.
tia,
m
Yes, you should most definitely update to RU. You will feel the increased performance and fix some bugs in the process.
nilnet

Post by nilnet »

Thanks Derek. I installed bp6ru128 plus drivers for winME . Linux and winME still happy. (bios was from another site, mentioned elsewhere in this forum...its hpt366 1.28 code with RU and no PIII mods. Anyway, I installed xp today and found out quicky why so much fuss over the highpoint controller. After installing the 1.28 w2k drivers, I get stuck midway during xp boot. Maybe someday it will finish , but I can't wait. Would it matter that I installed these drivers after the xp install, to replace the "? Other devices" "! mass storage controller"? Am I missing something ( other than a Promise Controller) ?
nilnet

smp on a budget
BP6/C400/SMP/320M/Voodoo3/Slackware10.1/XP//OS2/Knoppix
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

nilnet wrote:Thanks Derek. I installed bp6ru128 plus drivers for winME . Linux and winME still happy. (bios was from another site, mentioned elsewhere in this forum...its hpt366 1.28 code with RU and no PIII mods. Anyway, I installed xp today and found out quicky why so much fuss over the highpoint controller. After installing the 1.28 w2k drivers, I get stuck midway during xp boot. Maybe someday it will finish , but I can't wait. Would it matter that I installed these drivers after the xp install, to replace the "? Other devices" "! mass storage controller"? Am I missing something ( other than a Promise Controller) ?
When you see the HPT366 BIOS screen, what is the BIOS version? 1.2?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...