Win2K dumps without blue screen of death

OS / Drivers / BIOS
TVKAS

Win2K dumps without blue screen of death

Post by TVKAS »

I have been using my BP6 with Cel 366 clocked to 550mhz for about 3 years on NT4. Recently I upgraded to Win2K and all ran fine for a few weeks.
Now at unpredictable times, the computer crashes without a blue screen of death. It just dumps and reboots.
Has anybody else seen thuis problem??
I THINK the motherboard is fine because it ran well for years before and for a few weeks after upgrade to Win2K.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What temp is the CPU hitting & is CPU voltage stable? What BIOS/CMOS volts setting for the CPU are you using? Try 2.0 & work up to 2.1 if you have good cooling. Check the tops of the capacitors alongside the CPU socket to see if the tops are buldging - bad. Switch the CPU over to the other socket & see if it doesent run a lot better on that socket.
TVKAS

Post by TVKAS »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have upgraded practically the whole computer. Latest bios, latest Win2K updates, etc. New Drive.
CPU already at 2.0 volts.
I found out that event viewer has actually logged an error. What I get is "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1". I took a look on M$'s web site to see what they have on it. I do not believe that it is a MB problem but a software or other problem.
My MB has been running perfectly for 3 years with no problems whatsoever for 3 years. This problem cropped up on the 7th and on that date IE was updated. I think that it is related.
But to remove all doubt, I clocked down to 366 and still crashed. CPU's run cool all the way around (29@366-35@551). Just looked at the caps, all fine and no leaks or buldges (yes my case is open now almost all of the time - I don't even put the screws in anymore). I have not switched or reseated CPU's but if the problem continues I will, and I will try upping the volts if all else fails but as a last resort.Like I said everything fine 'til now.
I did swap memory and am still waiting to see what happens...
TVKAS

Post by TVKAS »

Here is an update for anybody interested. The computer still crashes. I now have the Win2k resource kit installed and have changed the settings on the computer to do a complete dump instead of a quick dump.
The crashes started on the 7th of Dec. On that date I had satellite internet installed at my home. The modem is software driven. And along with that IE 5.5 was installed.
With the full dump I should be able to isolate the offending driver. I am betting that the modem software is to blame.
BCN

Post by BCN »

you go: my computer->properties, then go to startup and recovery section and just uncheck if it tells reboot when crash - you will have your blue screen ;)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system