Switching mobo under Win2K

OS / Drivers / BIOS
dwave

Switching mobo under Win2K

Post by dwave »

I just finished swapping out my BP6 mobo :cry: for a shiny new QDI Superb-4E P4 mobo (and P4 2Gig) - my BP6 gave me several years of reliable service but, all good things must come to an end.

Just b4 my final BP6 shutdown, I uninstalled those hardware drivers (including ide, hpt, etc.) that I thought would need to be replaced for the new mobo. After the swap I find that I get a BSOD on startup [Stop: ... INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE ...]. Did I uninstall a driver which is now preventing Win2K from booting at all? Or, is it still trying to run an incompatible ide driver? - I had my HD installed and running on IDE0 (ata33) originally. Any suggestions on what I need to do to get Win2K to access the drive would be greatly apprec'd.

thx,
=/8^Dwave
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

You really should reinstall Windows when changing MoBos, then restore your data from backups (you do make backups, don't you? :shock: ).
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

why not jsut install 2K over the existing os install on the new mobo?

i've done it hundreds of times with win98se
dwave

Post by dwave »

I have swapped mobos under win9x several times in the past - I guess 2K is more picky (especially since it is on a hpfs partition). Looks like I will have to re-install over top the existing installation. Can anyone forsee problems doing that? Will Administrator "MyDocuments" get wiped I wonder? Better back 'em up and not take any chances :?

thx

=/8^Dwave
johnli

Post by johnli »

Errr, it's not impossible, I've seen it done.
If you reinstall over the top MS claims you loose your my documents and the like, but in actual fact you don't - the new install's folders are all apended .WINDOWS or something along those lines, backing up is still wise though :)
Regards,
John
Wolfram

Re: Switching mobo under Win2K

Post by Wolfram »

dwave wrote:I just finished swapping out my BP6 mobo :cry: for a shiny new QDI Superb-4E P4 mobo (and P4 2Gig) - my BP6 gave me several years of reliable service but, all good things must come to an end.

Just b4 my final BP6 shutdown, I uninstalled those hardware drivers (including ide, hpt, etc.) that I thought would need to be replaced for the new mobo. After the swap I find that I get a BSOD on startup [Stop: ... INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE ...].
The QDI is an SiS board, right? Your Win2K won´t have the necessary drivers for the IDE controller installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;271965

If you didn´t change the partition or harddrive setup, you can do this quick fix: Start Windows setup from CD. Hit F6 when the Setup asks for "other controller drivers". Insert floppy with SiS IDE driver. Setup will continue. Your old Win2K will be recognized. On the next menu, choose "repair installation". Your old settings should be kept.

I wrote the above from memory. If you want to be sure, double-check with information from the web.

There might be another source of trouble: Your BP6 has possibly used a different HAL (hardware abstraction layer) than your new board. There are at least four different HALs for W2K: Single or multiprocessor, and each with or without ACPI (without it´s called "standard pc"). So try at least to stay on the ACPI or on the non-ACPI side. IIRC you CAN use an MPS-HAL with a single CPU system, it just has more overhead than needed. But I´m not really sure about that.

EDIT: Damn, an old thread again. But maybe this will help someone else:)
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
harker

Post by harker »

Another option is to do like I do and that is to have one drive for all data....you can point window's My Docs to that drive after the install....It will ask the question do you want to repalce...just say no. So your 1st step would be to creat a My Documents folder on a seperate drive and move all your docs to that folder. Then do your reinstall to a different drive...it can even be a clean install, of course you'll lose other settings under a clean install, the right click the My docs folder, go to properties and change the location of My Docs to you folder on the data drive. Be sure you have already moved all doc's in windows default location to your desired location before you do this ...I've done many a reinstalls clean and overwrites and even restored some ghost images which is what I do currently

Sorry I am typing fast so hope it makes sense