multiple problems installing 2K

OS / Drivers / BIOS
kuun
Post-O-Matic

multiple problems installing 2K

Post by kuun »

ok, here goes

initially i can get win2K to install up to the point where it tries to detect device drivers, then it'll get about halfway through, and give me a ntoskrnl.exe error... and stack dump >:|

now i gotta go back through and delete all win2K files that were installed to get back to the device driver screen, if not, it gives me that bluescreen and ntoskrnl.exe error..

once i got it to the point where it had almost detected all devices then failed o na file called sysaudio.sys or something similar...

if anyone has any ideas. or anything plz help.. i need 2K for the SMP and refuse to use XP

i also cannot figure out how to disable the HPT366 ide channels, i've disabled IDE2 controller and yet it's still there,

any help is appreciated
Kuun
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

Need more setup information, especially bios settings for MPS, ACPI, and PNP OS.

As for disabling the HPT366, you can't. IDE2 is actually the second ATA33 controller, IDE1 is the first ATA33 controller, and by controller I mean channel with corresponding plug on motherboard. Disabling both saves IRQs and speeds boot, but alas, the HPT is hardwired in to fire up. At best you can use one of the old hacked bioses to ensure that the HPT bios doesn't run, speeding boot, though it will still be issued an IRQ and show up in the OS.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i have tried everything ican think of.. i cannot get 2K to install... it keeps BSOD'ing on me :(

anyone know anything ican do to fix it?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Rip out all cards except video & do the install.
Then add cards one by one & config with the OS drivers as needed.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i've tried that as well... when i do that it doesnt even get to detect devices.. it BSOD's right before and/or during the initial setup

i cant figure out why it's doing it,

i've tried removing ram and cards and everything... tried multiple hard drives. i dont know what could be causing it
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Your computer wouldn't happen to be overclocked, would it?
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

yeah actually it would, 2 500mhz @ 563mhz

why?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:yeah actually it would, 2 500mhz @ 563mhz

why?
Because that is probably the problem ;)

A general rule (or suggestion) is to install an operating system with your computer at spec speed. After you've installed Windows (or another OS) is when you try to overclock; try it.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

hmm i think i just might
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Yeah, the new OS install often can hit the H/W in a somewhat more demanding way than the old OS did. So, if the system is running right at the edge of workability, the new OS install often puts it over the line. This is especially true with memory access & bus timing.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

-= System Information =- OS (Windows 2000 Professional (5.0 - 2195)) Memory (Usage: 48/640MB (7.50%)) Cpu (2-Intel P2 Celeron, 539MHz, 128KB (30% Load)) Resolution (1024x768) On my VGA Uptime 5mins 22secs || Today is 08/12/2002 and the Time is 16:36:12 Hard Drives C:\ (52.57GB Free, 55.88GB Total), D:\ (5.78GB Free, 9.49GB Total), E:\ (0.33GB Free, 0.97GB Total), F:\ (0.93GB Free, 8.43GB Total), G:\ (1.16GB Free, 3.99GB Total) Record Uptime: 4days 4hrs 26mins

derek youra bloody genious!!
thanks!

but now i cant get it back upto 562 like i had it.. i can only get it to 539

anyone know anyway i can get it back to 562? and win2K still be stable?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:but now i cant get it back upto 562 like i had it.. i can only get it to 539

anyone know anyway i can get it back to 562? and win2K still be stable?
What OS were you running when you could get up to 562MHz?
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

win98SE
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:win98SE
Windows98SE was only using on processor, so, only one processor was being overclocked. Now you're using two processors, putting more stress on the BX chipset, lowering the speed you can overclock to. It could also be that one of the processors cannot handle the same speed as the other.

Just so many variables! :o
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i have a proble with the intel 82371AB/EB pci to USB universal host controller not work

here is the message:

Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device. To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update

i have already got the latest "curent(non-beta)" bios update for my bp6
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i've tried the chipset update utilitied, it tells me my os already ahs support for it,

i have updated the bios

now what?