XP - Second Processor missing

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Don´t know if this applies to anyone here, but keep in mind that XP Home does not support more than one CPU. XP Professional and Advanced Server do.

funeral, enabling or disabling ACPI is known to be very problematic without a clean install. IIRC, you shouldn´t be able to change from non-ACPI to ACPI at all, but it seems like you made it... anyway, you can change the HAL type in the device manager / computer.

Here is a guide for installing XP with a different (in this case: MPS=Multiprocessor) HAL:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;Q299340

And here they describe how to change the HAL after installation. It´s for W2K, but I think it applies to XP, too:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -US;237556
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Damn, just noticed this thread is five months old... :lol:
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Wolfram wrote:Damn, just noticed this thread is five months old... :lol:
It still helps to solve it for future reference, regardless of the age ;)
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

it seems a decent bit of people have been having shutdown problems in general. here is a good site with info on it and also how to a mini reinstall of windows once the acpi of bios has been turned on

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

BP6.Com also has a very thorough BP6 FAQ setup by Hyperspace; it's worth looking at:

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewforum.php?f=48
-Derek
johnli

Post by johnli »

The trick to getting ACPI enabled in install is to install the HPT366 drivers at the start of the win XP/2k setup (where it says "Press F6 if you want to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers" or somesuch). This will then lead to it installing as an ACPI setup (if the BIOS is set up properly).

As for the multiple processor item, you should be able to tell from the Device Manager MMC page and the task manager that will have usage meters for two processors. On the General pane of system properties it doesn't say anything iirc, my bp6 is now running Linux so I can't say for sure.
Regards,
John
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

Hi!

If you have ACPI enabled inthe BIOS, but windows doesn't see both processors, you can try to change your HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer) by installing it in the device manager. You have to select ACPI-Multiprocessor-PC, but the most time it'll kill your windows installation.

You also can change the HAL when you do a new install. If the Setup asks you to press F6 if you want to install additional drivers, just press F5 and you'll be able to select the different HAL's.

BYe.
Wolfram

Re: 2 Cpu

Post by Wolfram »

charly-tokic wrote:XP sux, when you want to change your HAL through the device manager.
I have a bp6, but XP only shows me "Standard PC" to chose in the device manager. No "MPS Multiprocessor" or "ACPI Multiprocessor".
You have to go to properties/driver/change driver, then select "show all drivers", then "show all components", then you can select the appropriate HAL from the list.

But as it was said before, you can only go from single to multiprocessor or back or from acpi to non-acpi without trouble, but _not_ from non-acpi to acpi.
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

But if you change the HAL, it can screw up your Windows installation! But when you install Windows you can select the HAL by pressing the F5 key at the beginning(when Windows asks you if you want to install install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver)! Maybe this should be in the FAQ because i saw many people here which have this problem. And of course you have must ACPI enabled in the BIOS!

PS: Please excuse my bad english once again :-)