Problem with multiple hard drives in XP

OS / Drivers / BIOS
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Best fix is to get a Promise/Maxtor ATA100 or 133 controller card.
Put the HPT366 to sleep, or just connect Read-Only devices to it.
If you can't afford the Promise card. Swap a CDROM or DVDROM drive ovet to the HPT366 & put the 2ND Hdisk on the ATA33 controller.
Your 2nd drive's data will be much safer on the ATA33 controller until you can retire the HPT366 from Hdisk operations entirely.
I have (3) BP6 systems running WinXP-Pro, and have ceased using the HPT366 for Hdisk operations - way too many trashed drives in a short period of time!
stultz

I think I've messed up my bios somehow??

Post by stultz »

I've run into a similar problem.

I had a BP6 dual proc, winxp, single WD 20GB HD (partitioned into a 7/13GB) running just dandy through the HPT366 (I think I had RU BIOS with 1.25 drivers).

Then I tried to add in an extra 10GB WD hard drive as a slave through the HPT366.

WinXP initially would boot, but the bios wouldn't recognize the 10GB drive

Then I somehow got Winxp to recognize the drive, went into drive managament to change the letters, and then all hell broke loose. WInxp would hang up on boot in normal and safe mode.

My HPT366 bios stopped recognizing the original 20GB HD unless it was connected through the 10Gb. Interestingly, I ran some dos based programs like WD tools, and the 20Gb drive could be recognized alone in that program.

Then I ditched to the 20GB drive, installed new to the 10GB drive, tried attaching a different drive through the normal (not HPT366) controller, and winxp wouldn't boot. Then the HPt bios failed to recognize th 10GB drive!

Now I'm stuck with 2 drives that the HPT bios doesn't recognize. I've tried flashing the bios, fdisking the drives, formating, etc, but I can't get the drives recognized!

Will an add in controller actually solve this problem? Thanks!
Dave
stultz

Got a Promise/Maxtor Controller

Post by stultz »

I was even having problems plugging either drive into the regular IDE 1 or 2 spot. (BIOS wouldn't recognize either drive alone or in combo)

I got a Maxtor ATA/133 ($50 at Staples) and plugged it into PCI 3. Works almost like a charm. Both hard drives recognized appropriately, everything is booting well.

However, now I have a problem that my 20GB HD (ATA66, slave) keeps clicking on and off. I am running WinXP Pro, and it used to make these noises when I would shut down, but now it does it whenever. It's especially bad when downloading some things from the internet. Any suggestions?

Dave
Dave
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Under warranty (3 years)? Sounds like track Zero is becoming unreadable. The Click-click-click sound is when the head positioner is seeking track zero & goes to the end of travel without finding it.
I'd assume it's going to be toast soon if not already. Repair or scrap.