XP SP2 Install - Wont Boot unless VGA Mode

OS / Drivers / BIOS
webtrakker

XP SP2 Install - Wont Boot unless VGA Mode

Post by webtrakker »

Hi all,

Just wondering if I can pick some brains!

I've had my BP6 running windows 2003 fine for ages and have recently bought a new athlon to run as the server so thought the BP6 would make a good wee workstation for office apps .... however ...

I've a slip streamed SP2 version of XP and it installs fine until the final reboot then it just hangs, the only way I can get into XP is with a VGA mode boot ... then everything works fine (even my sata card).

System is pretty bare, basic setup using the last offical Abit BIOS, not over clocked and with the following installed

Intel Pro100 Nic
TNT Vanta M64 Graphics card (I always tried a Matrox G200 which worked but kept freezing up .. but I think it's the card!).

Anyone had any similar issues or ideas on sorting this .... I'm trying an install of win 2000 pro just now to check if there's any problems.

The XP cd is good as I recently reinstalled my laptop fine with it.

Forgot to mention, IDE drive (IBM 120gb ATA133) is connected to IDE0 on the standard controller and 20gb partion (although it has no problem seeing the disk as I did manage to dump a heap of data over the lan with XP in cga mode).

Cheers for any help!
webtrakker

Update ....

Post by webtrakker »

Ok windows 2000 pro does exactly the same thing.

I've just also done some research on the GFX cards and they are both 3.3v AGP's .... I used to have an MX4000 in there and never had any problems, unfortunatly this is in my Athlon64 machine now and has to be as it's a 1.5V.

Just tried 2000 with the Matrox G200 and it works ok ... not locked up as yet .....

I think the problem is to do with the GFX cards .... but of anyone else know's different please let me know ... other the board, dual 500's and 640mb of ram will be going to ebay!
davd_bob
Confused

Re: XP SP2 Install - Wont Boot unless VGA Mode

Post by davd_bob »

webtrakker wrote:I've a slip streamed SP2 version of XP...
Not the issue you are chasing but, which version of XP? If its XP home it will only support one cpu.
webtrakker wrote:...it installs fine until the final reboot then it just hangs, the only way I can get into XP is with a VGA mode boot ... then everything works fine (even my sata card).
you didnt mention the SATA card in the inventory list. Does it boot correctly without the SATA?
Also you didnt mention if the video was PCI or AGP. If PCI which slot did you try?
webtrakker wrote:.... I'm trying an install of win 2000 pro just now to check if there's any problems.
How did W2K work?
webtrakker wrote:(IBM 120gb ATA133) is connected to IDE0 on the standard controller...
Should work dependably. If you dare you can move to the htp666, er I mean HTP366 for about 50% increase of drive data speed.
webtrakker wrote:and 20gb partion (although it has no problem seeing the disk as I did manage to dump a heap of data over the lan with XP in cga mode).
I wasn't going to comment until you mentioned working in CGA mode. Im still laughing.

Since you are running at 66FSB try to pull everything but the video and drives. That will eliminate everything else.

good luck
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
webtrakker

Post by webtrakker »

Current System:

Dual 500's - not overclocked or anything
640mb RAM (all fine - tested in another machine)
1x 120gb on standard ide controller - not going near hpt
Intel Pro 100 Nic
Matrox G200 GFX

Windows 2000 pro installed fine with the Matrox - would not work with the TNT Riva M64 (it's now classed as a frisbee!!)

I removed the sata card to reduce likely hood of issue.

It was XP Pro I tried installing before ... VGA mode only .. or with the Matrox card it went Jerky and then xp told me the driver was going bum over elbow and too reboot (after it dropped to 8 bit mode!!)

2000 pro SP4 install just finished and all is good !
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

gotta love those frisbees! :twisted:
webtrakker

Post by webtrakker »

Might give XP one more try with the Matrox card ... but I think it's time for a 99p start price on eBay for the box
webtrakker

Post by webtrakker »

Upated the Matrox Drivers from Windows Update and it all fell apart under windows 2000 also ....

... anyone want a bp6 with 640mb ram and dual 500's ??
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

I'm not certain what you mean when you refer to a "slip streamed" version of XP. It sounds like you are trying to install some manner of image. I do not believe that an image created on a uniprocessor machine will be compatible on a BP6 with (2) processors. I think that a deployable image for a multi-processor machine requires that the image be created on a multi-processor machine. Otherwise, it will install a uniprocessor kernel which very likely is not compatible.

The image created on a uniprocessor machine will install O.K. on another uniprocessor machine (i. e. your laptop) but not on a multi-processor setup.

I suggest you try a full install from a WinXP source CD.

Best Regards,

s4
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I'd say the vga card is good for a cga post screen
and an 80x25 dos screen
but it won't do a vga desktop
if you can get it to safe mode , it's an indicator all is not quite lost
but a cheap vga for $5 at a computer store isn't hard to find for a replacement
webtrakker

Post by webtrakker »

s4Brains - the slipstream is just the source cd with SP2 integrated so it installs as SP2 from CD - it's nothing fancy. It is a clean install.

Dave Rave - it's not CGA mode , it's basic 640x480 VGA mode I've used to get the box running by hitting F8 at boot up and selecting VGA mode (basically disabling any fancy AGP commands).

Thanks to all for replies, but I'm fed up with the box and it's powered down ready to head to ebay !
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

nah, go the $5 replacement
uhm, pound ? euro
KliK

Post by KliK »

i just looked under the drivers for the XP Pro with SP2...i see in only ATI, INtel & Hercules...
so that is why it is under VGA mode...why don't you download the last drivers from the Matrox homepage?! i had MGA G200 which worked great with those drivers...try it, you don't have anything to loose!!
same thing with the nVIDIA...must be the drivers...i also had the VGA boot with the GF2 MX400!! just put the drivers from the nVIDIA homepage and it works great...though it has seen the GF2, but didn't have the drivers...so it must be that it sees TNT, but yoiu have Vanta TNT which is somewhat special...so just find the drivers & install them...

dont use the WindowsUpdate drivers...they don't work allways!! :D