Fan Speed Software Auto-contoller?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Jordan

Fan Speed Software Auto-contoller?

Post by Jordan »

I've been playing with my fans wor a while now and found that when the CPU fans run at just slightly less than 100%, like 90-95%, the whole machine get a lot quieter.
Because of this, i need to enlist the help of the online community in the search for a specific controller program.

I've used SpeedFan and motherboard Monitor and the like, but I;m looking for a particular function that none seem to have

I need one that can: Load on startup, then AUTOMATICALLY set the fan speeds down to 90%, then close while leaving the lowered speeds intact.

I could put speedfan in the startup files and do it myself, but if anyone knows of something easier PLEASE tell me!

Weirdness - I thought i posted this post yesterday, but i guess i didn't... strange. If my other post is hiding somewhere, then oops, sorry.
The collector of the old and unwanted.
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

BP6Fsb did this i think.

There is also another program, I think called Speedfan or something similar that does the same job.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Bp6fsb should be in the downloads section on BP6.com.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

24seven wrote:BP6Fsb did this i think.

There is also another program, I think called Speedfan or something similar that does the same job.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Bp6fsb should be in the downloads section on BP6.com.
It certainly is! :)
-Derek
KliK

Post by KliK »

or you can fit a temperature controlled fan on the heatsink... :) and that would do the trick just fine!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

KliK wrote:or you can fit a temperature controlled fan on the heatsink... :) and that would do the trick just fine!
My experience with those are that they suck. Plain and simple. They usually end up running at full speed anyways. If you were to build a solution with a temperature controlled fan that would work for your specific setup then you should have the possibility of manually setting the high and low points and the hysteresis value.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
KliK

Post by KliK »

purrkur wrote:
KliK wrote:or you can fit a temperature controlled fan on the heatsink... :) and that would do the trick just fine!
My experience with those are that they suck. Plain and simple. They usually end up running at full speed anyways. If you were to build a solution with a temperature controlled fan that would work for your specific setup then you should have the possibility of manually setting the high and low points and the hysteresis value.

yeah, that would be nice...but how much CPU power does that program takes from the system, just to run the fans...
from my experiances with similar program that monitor hardware, they offten freeze the computer, like the MBM!! so that is why i don't use the manual seting, and the hardware built in hysteresis is better...

also, if the prgram consumes for example 10% of CPU power to run the fan regulation, it heats more than the processor that is not using this program...so you use fans for CPU cooling, but you heat th CPU with the running that program...
how much is gained, how much is lost...that is the main question here!!!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

KliK wrote:yeah, that would be nice...but how much CPU power does that program takes from the system, just to run the fans...
from my experiances with similar program that monitor hardware, they offten freeze the computer, like the MBM!! so that is why i don't use the manual seting, and the hardware built in hysteresis is better...
I don't use Windows so I wouldn't be able to comment on programs like MBM and their stability. I do use Linux and I have never had stability problems with sensors related software. After having looked into how temperature & fan speed reading is done under Linux, I can understand that trying to do everything the easy way for all motherboards in Windows would probably turn out fatally wrong in some cases.
KliK wrote:also, if the prgram consumes for example 10% of CPU power to run the fan regulation, it heats more than the processor that is not using this program...so you use fans for CPU cooling, but you heat th CPU with the running that program...
how much is gained, how much is lost...that is the main question here!!!
Hehehe! The bp6 is not running 286 CPU's :) 10% sound simply crazy! The fan regulation software I played around with on Linux didn't even draw 1% cpu! What do you need 10% for?? The program for reading a temp value and regulating fan speed according to an algorithm would be extremely small. It would barely register, even on an old system like the BP6.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

8MB of memory under WinXP and 1-3% of power consumption...I just instaled it, just to see how it works...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I just installed the latest version (5.3 something) on my wifes computer. Granted, it is a 1GHz Athlon machine but cpu usage is not even registered on this system. For some reason my system only reports 2120K being used on the binary. I can't see how you can get four times more...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

maybe i was using it on BP6...and configured some controlls there...
also on BP6 i got 6 temperatures reading & one HDD temp., and the version is 4.27 (which is supposed to be latest?! and the 4.28 is beta)

maybe you used the Linux version?!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

OK, we are not running the same version.

My wife's computer is a Windows machine. I am running the latest version of MBM which I found over here (version 5.3.7.0):

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

I am not sure but I think there may be issues with running that version on a BP6. I think that is why the 4.2x is kept around. You should be able to find information about this here in the forums. Like I said, I am not a Windows user so I don't really care :) (except at work where I get paid to work with it which is fine by me).

Btw, you cannot receive six temperatures on the BP6, only three.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
KliK

Post by KliK »

i was talking about a speedfan program that was mentioned earlier in this forum...it's latest version is 4.27!

the MBM latest is 5.3.7, you are right! :D