WinXP Pro SP2 won't restore "desktop theme" w/SMP

OS / Drivers / BIOS
s4brains

WinXP Pro SP2 won't restore "desktop theme" w/SMP

Post by s4brains »

Hi,

I inherited my BP6 as a castoff from my nephew and since the I first got it up and running I have experienced what I would classify as a nuisance problem. When XP boots, it comes up with the default desktop theme (Lune?) even though I have repeatedly set "Windows Classic" as my preferred theme. It is very strange because if I schedule a disk check it will boot with my chosen theme for the first boot after performing the disk check. Similarly, if I tell XP to only use one processor by modifying boot.ini, it also consistently boots with the correct theme. Forgetting my choice of theme seems to be limited to booting in the dual processor mode. (I suspect that when a disk check is scheduled that it initially boots just one processor until the check has been completed.)

Although I can live with this problem, if anyone has a tip that might help me overcome this situation, I would be very grateful.

Best Regards,

s4
KliK

Post by KliK »

get all the updates on WindowsUpdate web page...if you don't know how to bypass the WGA, just click here: http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3009
KliK

Post by KliK »

get all the updates on WindowsUpdate web page...if you don't know how to bypass the WGA, just click here: http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3009

they reply if it's not OK!
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

Installing the latest updates to WinXP Pro did not resolve my problem.

Are there any other sugestions?

Regards,

s4
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

silly question .....
XP Home or Pro
KliK

Post by KliK »

put your theme, and then in System Restore make Restore Point! Then boot, and see if it's still default Lune or your Win Classic theme!
s4brains

Post by s4brains »

KliK wrote: put your theme, and then in System Restore make Restore Point! Then boot, and see if it's still default Lune or your Win Classic theme!
KliK,

Tried this long before you suggested it. Messing around with restore points doesn't make any difference with the problem.

I thought about changing the kernel to "non-ACPI" but if I do this and wish to go back to ACPI, I would need to reinstall WinXP Pro and I don't wish to do this. Some motherboard BIOS's are know to have problems with ACPI, but I do not know if the BP6 is one of those. The link I had to a Microsoft list of "problem BIOS's" is no longer valid and I cannot find another copy of this list searching all of Microsoft's sites. If it was an ACPI problem, I would think that others would have experienced it and there would be comments or topics about it here at bp6.com.

s4