XP Crashes after install

OS / Drivers / BIOS
ray_parkhurst

XP Crashes after install

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I just inherited a BP6 and am trying to get it set up with WinXP Pro SP2. So far I have had some success, but still a major problem. The install process went smoothly, and everything seems fine until I try to actually do anything, upon which the system powers down un-gracefully. I have looked through some of the posts here and am confused about what might be wrong. Questions:

What BIOS version is required for XP operation?
Can the board support 137GB+ disks?
Can the HPT366 support 137GB+ disks?
I've seen posts stating use of 1GHZ+ P3's. I have a pair of 933 P3's I'd love to use on this board. What BIOS or other changes are required for this?
KliK

Re: XP Crashes after install

Post by KliK »

ray_parkhurst wrote:I just inherited a BP6 and am trying to get it set up with WinXP Pro SP2. So far I have had some success, but still a major problem. The install process went smoothly, and everything seems fine until I try to actually do anything, upon which the system powers down un-gracefully. I have looked through some of the posts here and am confused about what might be wrong. Questions:

What BIOS version is required for XP operation?
Can the board support 137GB+ disks?
Can the HPT366 support 137GB+ disks?
I've seen posts stating use of 1GHZ+ P3's. I have a pair of 933 P3's I'd love to use on this board. What BIOS or other changes are required for this?

i had similar problems...it turns out it was the HPT366 adaper and it's drivers & BIOS...now i use RU version of BIOS and 1.28 version of HPT BIOS...the driver are the most current!
check the HPT BIOS for 137+GB disks...but if it recognize it, than, it will work!

about the P3s...they don't work on BP6, unless you make some changes on the board and have Lin-Lin adapter...check the posts how to do that!!!

most common used is 366@550 or the other procs...the top cel for this board is the black 533, which goes till 600 (but it's slower than 366@550!)...
if you want to use those 933, get the ABIT VP6 board... :D
ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

KliK wrote: i had similar problems...it turns out it was the HPT366 adaper and it's drivers & BIOS...now i use RU version of BIOS and 1.28 version of HPT BIOS...the driver are the most current!
check the HPT BIOS for 137+GB disks...but if it recognize it, than, it will work!

about the P3s...they don't work on BP6, unless you make some changes on the board and have Lin-Lin adapter...check the posts how to do that!!!

most common used is 366@550 or the other procs...the top cel for this board is the black 533, which goes till 600 (but it's slower than 366@550!)...
if you want to use those 933, get the ABIT VP6 board... :D
Thanks KliK, I am in process of upgrading to RU. But I chose the update with HPT v1.25 before I read your post. What is the difference between 1.25 and 1.28? I suppose I can update to 1.28 after installing the BP6 BIOS. I see that 1.28 is the latest on Highpoint site.

My BP6 has the black 533's, should be a good board when I get it stable! Also sounds like I will leave the P3's for another day.
KliK

Post by KliK »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Thanks KliK, I am in process of upgrading to RU. But I chose the update with HPT v1.25 before I read your post. What is the difference between 1.25 and 1.28? I suppose I can update to 1.28 after installing the BP6 BIOS. I see that 1.28 is the latest on Highpoint site.

My BP6 has the black 533's, should be a good board when I get it stable! Also sounds like I will leave the P3's for another day.
link for the HPT366:
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_hpt366.htm

yes, the 1.28 is the last firmware version...some of the guys use 1.30beta, but it's not fully functional on mine computer...but here is the txt for the 1.30 version if you wan't to use it! :D

by the way, are your 533's FZ or PZ version?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.