XP HOME doesn't see WIN98 systems on Peer to peer

OS / Drivers / BIOS
davd_bob
Confused

XP HOME doesn't see WIN98 systems on Peer to peer

Post by davd_bob »

HELP.

I connected my wife's system(XP HOME) on the LAN at her store, but it might as well be a stand alone system...it doesn't see the 2 WIN98 systems and won't let them see it. I had a W2K PRO connected to the XP system and at least the W2K system could see the shares, but this uppity XP turkey refuses to see any shares on any other system Ive tried to connect it to.

I did make the network install diskette and used it on the WIN98 systems and no change. All the other systems see each other and even when I tried the W2K system at her store it saw both the WIN98 units and they saw it.

Whats the trick to make this "snootty" acting Athlon 2.8GHz talk to other PCs?

BTW, it really must be a slow day everywhere cause I don't think there has been a single post for about 24 hours.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Billl

Re: XP HOME doesn't see WIN98 systems on Peer to peer

Post by Billl »

davd_bob wrote:HELP.

I connected my wife's system(XP HOME) on the LAN at her store, but it might as well be a stand alone system...it doesn't see the 2 WIN98 systems and won't let them see it. I had a W2K PRO connected to the XP system and at least the W2K system could see the shares, but this uppity XP turkey refuses to see any shares on any other system Ive tried to connect it to.

I did make the network install diskette and used it on the WIN98 systems and no change. All the other systems see each other and even when I tried the W2K system at her store it saw both the WIN98 units and they saw it.

Whats the trick to make this "snootty" acting Athlon 2.8GHz talk to other PCs?

BTW, it really must be a slow day everywhere cause I don't think there has been a single post for about 24 hours.
I've had the same problem with some of my systems. I have 15 networked systems here. For quite a while some would see a few systems some wouldn't talk to anyone. All the ones I had problems with were interestingly enough Win XP systems. The 2 Win 98 systems have never given me a bit of problems. I solved most of my problems by simply running the network connection wizzard over and over until it worked. Of course you also must be sure your using the same workgroup name for all the systems. XP always wants to call the workgroup MSHOME. Where is 98 always used the WORKROUP name. So make sure you are changing that. Assuming your actually doing it right and answering the network questions correctly. Then all you can do is keep running it until it takes. I've had to do it numerous times on a few machines. I still have a problem with one machine it simply won't let anyone connect to it. I think a new driver might fix it. But another solution you can try is to put a new network card in it. I may try that myself. That system just isn't worth my time at this point.

One other interesting thing I've found is the Win 98 systems can't connect to the Win 2K systems if they are password protected. I have no idea whats up with that. But I've just learned to work around it. If anyone has an answer to this problem I'd love to hear it.

Not sure what's up with the posts no one seems to be talking for some reason.

Hope this helps.

Billl
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

there is a network wizard in XP
Home will work, it's just slightly stupider than Pro

there's some setting, apart from getting on the same workgroup, that the wizard will fix.

win98 to win2k - create a user with the username of the win98 machine's user.
I usually have to create an entry for each machine that might need to access the win2k shares.
thinx - probably get arouns it by assigning the win2k machine's user to some group name and putting each needed machine's user into the same group, might be easier, must try that....
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Billl,
I will try without the passwords on the WIN98 systems. Both currently use one.

Dave Rave,
You made me think about the user account on XP and now Im wondering if XP thinks it need the security of a DOMAIN server? Geez, Red Hat gets better looking with every new release of MSwin OSes.

After reding both it kind of bugs me that previously my W2K machine could see the shares on the XP machine without running the "XP netsetup wizard" on it.
I use the a variation of the store name for the workgroup name.
Thanx guys.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

How convenient! I was helping a friend with the same problem this week. :)
-Derek
Billl

Post by Billl »

davd_bob wrote:Billl,
I will try without the passwords on the WIN98 systems. Both currently use one.
Actually I was refering to the passwords on the Win2K boxes as being the problem. I have no problem connecting to the Win98 machines. It's connecting from the Win98 to Win2K box where the problems occur. It just never occured to me to simply add an account to the 2K boxes with the Win98 machine name.

Billl
Billl

Post by Billl »

Dave Rave wrote:there is a network wizard in XP
Home will work, it's just slightly stupider than Pro
Actually I've never noticed a difference between the two?
Dave Rave wrote:there's some setting, apart from getting on the same workgroup, that the wizard will fix.
Yea about all it does is setup the network type and computer name. But for whatever reason running it several times solved most of my problems connecting. It really does piss ya off though. Windows use to just connect with no problems at all. I've been netorking them for years since Win 3.11 for Work Groups. It always just connected with few if any problems. Now XP makes life a real pain in the ass. Way to go MS! :headsmash:
Dave Rave wrote:win98 to win2k - create a user with the username of the win98 machine's user.
I usually have to create an entry for each machine that might need to access the win2k shares.
thinx - probably get arouns it by assigning the win2k machine's user to some group name and putting each needed machine's user into the same group, might be easier, must try that....
Thanks for the tips when I get time I'll give them a try.

Billl
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

Billl wrote:
Dave Rave wrote:there's some setting, apart from getting on the same workgroup, that the wizard will fix.
Yea about all it does is setup the network type and computer name. But for whatever reason running it several times solved most of my problems connecting.
Billl
yeh., that is sort of what I meant.
I can set the network protocols manually, like I need to in WIn98se
but if you do it all manually, winxp home doesn't like you.
it wants the wizard.

XP Pro works with less fuss, still likes the wizard.
not sure what it does, though
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

I added ipx/spx protocol and removed the passwords on the 2 Win98 machines THEN the XP machine started talking the them.

I think it was the password thing that did it. But it works now so im NOT gonna try fix it any more.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100