XP SP1 Boots fine until HDD is connected to HPT controller

OS / Drivers / BIOS
oxygen

XP SP1 Boots fine until HDD is connected to HPT controller

Post by oxygen »

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I visited the site and I'm not up to speed on all quirks XP has to offer the BP6.

I formatted the windows 2000 sp4 installation and the XP install went flawlessly. The boot drive is a 30Gb Western Digital set as Primary Master on the Standard ATA 33 channel (XP Pro SP1).

After the install, I downloaded the HPT 1.30 drivers from this site for windows XP. The drivers installed perfectly. After a reboot or two, I turned the system off and re-connected a 60Gb seagate. XP hangs on the splash screen and will not boot if there is a drive connected to a HPT controller.

Windows 2000 saw the drive fine set as a master on the primary HPT Channel, but as a precaution I tested the drive in my Athlon MP system running XP PRO SP2, and the drive was fine.

I am running BIOS revision RU that has served me well in the past. I know this drive can be detected by the operating system, as it has worked in the past on the same channel.

Has anyone encountered this before, and have they got a fix for it? I am about to try some older HPT drivers if I can find them. I will post if they work. I think the ones I used last time were 1.28 with the RU BIOS.

Cheers blokes
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Hey oxygen,

Try using HPT V1.30 for WinXP:

http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?acti ... file_id=17

Derek
-Derek
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

Thanks mate.

I've tried th 1.30's.

I'm not a big fan of XP at the best of times, so last night I said sod it, and installed 2000 SP4 again. Voila working! It would have been convenient to run XP, but 2000 just seems to work better on my setup.
I should be used to old hardware and new operating systems not co-operating by now

Cheers
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

don't use the 'latest' drivers for your HPT controllers.
use the correct ones for the bios version running in your bios.
check the blue post screen as to which version it is and use that version driver.

latest is not always best.
and with the HPT, don't use them anyway.
and XP, c'mon ,.... why waste a good XP key on an old BP6, when you can buy a new athlon board and cpu and memory, or Intel for not much
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

I found the old driver compilation CD I put together when the bp6 6 machine was my primary workstation years ago. I installed the "old faithful" drivers (1.22 - not 1.28 like I thought in my first post).

I actually have 9 unused license keys for XP in my MAPS packs from Microsoft. No activation required as it was on my bp6 for less than a day.

Old faithful is now sitting in the corner acting as my file server once again (also makes a nice coffee table).

Cheers
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I've had trouble with several Seagate drives on the HPT366 (U7, Barracuda IV, Barrcuda 7200.7, 5400.1). Freezes, corrupted data etc. Fujitsu, WD and Samsung drives worked nicely.

Obviously you don't have that kind of trouble. But I'd like to know what type of Seagate drive you are using... is it on the HPT366 now?
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
oxygen

Post by oxygen »

It's on the hpt right now and works fine under 2000 pro. The system runs a lot better under 2000, and as it is only acting as a net render/file server system at the moment, it doesn't need to look pretty. The o/s is tweaked out, but I don't bother to overclock the cpu's.