Debian Sarge freezes

OS / Drivers / BIOS
purrkur
Linux Guru

Debian Sarge freezes

Post by purrkur »

I saw this on the net today. They have frozen the "testing" branch of Debian which means that we will see a new stable release pretty soon (at the end of May if we should take the article seriously).

This actually looks good in terms of doing a "Linux on BP6" howto that I have mentioned a few times over here. I have been extremely busy lately but I plan to take a 3 month leave from work in June which should free up some time so I can put some time and energy into this.

So the plan is to use the next stable Debian to set up "Linux on a BP6" howto. The way I was planning to do this is to have people download a basic Debian ISO what is about 100 megs in size and then rely on the internet to provide us with the packets that we want to install. That way we only install a basic system and then add only the things we want.

So I would like to get some feedback from you on who is interested in this "howto" and what type of internet connection you have!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I am interested. My excursions into Linuxland have all been abortive. This was a few years back and I'm sure it's come a long way since then, and it would be great to have an expert to "hold my hand"!

I'm on dial-up at the moment (and in dispute with my broadband provider), but I won't have any trouble borrowing a fast pipe to download .isos.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-