Post by danielicious »

BP6 running dual Celeron 400's @ 550MHz
BIOS version: RV Without HPT
Distro: Debian RC3 (net install)
Kernel: 2.6.11-1-686-smp
fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/hdg1
Possibly non-existent or swap device?

fsck failed. Please repair manually.
I get the above error during boot. The drive in question is a 200GB Seagate Barracuda attached to a Highpoint Rocket133SB (hpt302), residing in PCI-slot 2. System itself is installed on a U160 SCSI drive attached to an Adaptec 29160N, residing in PCI-slot 3. No other disk controllers are being used.

Corresponding line in /etc/fstab:
/dev/hdg1 /home/public ext3 defaults 0 2
What's weird is I can (manually) mount the drive just fine once the system's all booted up. I've tried different 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels, all with the same result. Knoppix on the other hand, can find and mount the drive during boot with no bitching or moaning whatsoever. Only difference I'm aware of is that Knoppix appears to be loading the ataraid module rather than the hpt366 one. Any ideas, anyone?

Btw, I'm new to the forum ('sup guys) and relatively new to Linux, so any help I can get would be most appreciated. Thanks.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hello Danielicious and welcome to the forums!

Good stuff, running Debian on BP6!

I think you answered your question yourself actually. You are running BIOS without support for HPT. On top of that you are running an IDE card with another HPT chip onboard. Still, Debian is loading the htp366 module.

Do this as root for me and send the results:

lsmod |grep hpt366
lsmod |grep ataraid

Are you seeing both? If the answer is yes then I want to to open file /etc/hotplug/blacklist and add "hpt366" without the quotes at the end of that file.

Reboot your machine and check the output from the lsmod commands above. You should get nothing in return when you run the first lsmod command. Check if that fixes your problem or not.

I see you posted a few days ago. I usually hang around here quite often but I have been busy beyond belief lately. Feel free to post your questions on running Linux on the BP6 here and I'll do my best to help!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
danielicious

Post by danielicious »

Hi purrkur and thank you for your answer!
# lsmod |grep hpt366
hpt366 20320 0 [permanent]
ide_core 132476 4 ide_disk,hpt366,piix,ide_generic
# lsmod |grep ataraid
#
As you can see only the hpt366 module appears to be loaded. I've tried different BIOS:es as well, and with or without hpt-support makes no difference -- the OS (be it Linux or Windows) appears to find the onboard hpt366 no matter what.

As far as I've been able to gather from other Debian- and Linux-related sources, the hpt366 module should be the proper module for the hpt302-controller as well. I'm guessing that the prescence of the onboard hpt366-controller confuses things for Debian?

I tried adding hpt366 to blacklist, but it made no difference either. In fact, even running lsmod |grep hpt366 still returned the same thing as before:
# lsmod |grep hpt366
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

danielicious wrote:Hi purrkur and thank you for your answer!
# lsmod |grep hpt366
# lsmod |grep ataraid
#
As you can see only the hpt366 module appears to be loaded. I've tried different BIOS:es as well, and with or without hpt-support makes no difference -- the OS (be it Linux or Windows) appears to find the onboard hpt366 no matter what.

As far as I've been able to gather from other Debian- and Linux-related sources, the hpt366 module should be the proper module for the hpt302-controller as well. I'm guessing that the prescence of the onboard hpt366-controller confuses things for Debian?

I tried adding hpt366 to blacklist, but it made no difference either. In fact, even running lsmod |grep hpt366 still returned the same thing as before:
# lsmod |grep hpt366
Hmmm. Strange. I am not familiar with the 302 so I googled and read some. Apparently there is an open source hpt302 driver found that is developed at HighPoint. I searched through the kernel on my Gentoo box and I didn't find that particular driver:
thor linux # grep HPT .config
CONFIG_HIGHPTE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366 is not set
So it seems that although there is an open source driver available from the manufacturer, it is not built into the kernel for some reason :(

The hpt366 module only works for the 366 and above according to the kernel documentation. There is no mention of the 302 at all in there. I think you should definitely stick to 2.6 while working on this problem.

So the question is if you are loading the hpt302 module? Check it out by running the lsmod |grep hpt302 command. It would be interesting to see if Knoppix loads that module as well.

If that isn't working out for you then I guess it is a matter of going to the HighPoint webpage to get the open source driver and compiling it yourself! You can find the driver on this page. I downloaded version 1.2 and checked it out. There is a readme there that mentions how to do it, although the "readme" is probably not written with newbies in mind. Let me know if you know how or if this is like greek for you and then I'll help you out!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel