Win 2K Server, problems, and the move to Win XP Pro

OS / Drivers / BIOS
merker19

Win 2K Server, problems, and the move to Win XP Pro

Post by merker19 »

Hello Fellow bp6'ers!

As my sig below indicates, I have a bp6 with 500Mhz dualies running Win 2k Server. Windows partition is installed on the first drive (IBM) and my second drive (WD) houses all of my phat files. Unfortunately, my previously rock-solid bp6 server has started freezing and locking up at random and annoying times --hence, unreliable and virtually unuseable. So I decided this past weekend just to blast the C drive (IBM) and re-format with Win XP Professional. I did that and unfortunately, I am now unable to recognize the D drive (WD) where all my phat files live; which is probably due to the inane Windows Security kicking in making all of those files unreadable to my new install of Win XP. So I said, "Hell, I'll just drop an old image of my Win 2K Server onto another hd and just boot up with that, get to my files, and transfer them over." Unfortunately, I ran into a more annoying error that asks that I reboot into "Directory Services Restore Mode" to repair an issue and unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't seem to login to get to the desktop to restore files. Is there any way to get into the D drive (WD) to grab my files?

Thanks in Advance for any help!
_Merker19
Abit BP6 mobo (BIOS RU)
2 500Mhz Celeron CPU's
Voltage Regulator mod applied!
640MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB
IBM 14Gig HD
Western Digital ATA/100 160Gig HD (on HPT366)
3Com 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 8x CD-ROM
Ricoh 2x CD-RW
Windows 2000 Server, SP4
Billl

Post by Billl »

I suppose that depends on if you were using encription on that drive? If so and you lost the hash files on 2k your probably screwed. You could try looking at it with Knoppix-std.

Billl
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

i'd try safe mode....

sounds like if you have dropped an 'old' working drive into the {now} "new" winXP, you have to go into manage and disk manager to tell winxp that it is allowed to use this darn partition sitting on that hdd. (dya ken laddy ?)
merker19

Post by merker19 »

thanks for the suggestions guys. What's this knoppix-std? I'll have to look into it.

Safe Mode never seems to boot into the login prompt. I've waited 20 minutes, but I suppose that's not enough. I've also tried ntfs.com's Reader, but it just sits there with the same message of "Scanning for Files and Folders, please wait" forever! In all theory, my image should work just peachy keen. I'll try it again. Curses. I would have loved to have transferred all of my files via the network to a healthy computer before rebooting if this damned thing didn't lock up every time I tried it. I guess I could have tried to burn it, but we're talking 100Gigs here!!!
Abit BP6 mobo (BIOS RU)
2 500Mhz Celeron CPU's
640MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB
IBM 14Gig HD
3Com 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 8x CD-ROM
Ricoh 2x CD-RW
Windows 2000 Server, SP4
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I'll put in a vote for ease of use to try the knoppix

700mb iso download
burn to cd
boot to cd
straight to linux desktop with NO install
you get to read your hard drives, like in safe mode.
merker19

Post by merker19 »

Hi Dave, Do you think this will work even if the drive is encrypted? I've been told that may be an issue. I don't recall encrypting the drive, but I wouldn't put it past Win 2K server to do it automatically for security reasons --afterall, this is a domain controller.
Thanks,
_Merker19
Abit BP6 mobo (BIOS RU)
2 500Mhz Celeron CPU's
640MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB
IBM 14Gig HD
3Com 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 8x CD-ROM
Ricoh 2x CD-RW
Windows 2000 Server, SP4
Billl

Post by Billl »

merker19 wrote:Hi Dave, Do you think this will work even if the drive is encrypted? I've been told that may be an issue. I don't recall encrypting the drive, but I wouldn't put it past Win 2K server to do it automatically for security reasons --afterall, this is a domain controller.
Thanks,
_Merker19

No you would have had to set encription yourself. Get yourself a copy of Knoppix. Either the STD version or the base version should work for what you want to do. Just do a search on google for it, download the ISO burn a disk and off you go. You obviously will have to do all this on a machine that you have enough room to copy the data back to. Also there are windows solutions to this problem. If your uncomfortable using Linux. Though you should be able to do the whole thing from inside X. Purrkur would be an excelent one to ask about this.

Billl
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

I am not sure if Linux supports Windows file system encryption but it is worth a try.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

You might be able to use WD's HD setup software and image the WD drive to a drive/partition formated to FAT32. That would at least get past the NTFS security. Then try hook up the drive to a W2K or XP machine (maybe 98SE would work) and see if the files are available.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Billl

Post by Billl »

One other thought, a program called Get Data Back. I believe it's done by runtime software.

Billl