Unusual amounts of disk activity

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Slagathor

Unusual amounts of disk activity

Post by Slagathor »

Since my last install of XPee, about a week, I been noticing a lot of HDD activity. Also when playing a game like Counter-Strike, the HDD will have a burst of activity and the game will freeze for a while, then shortly after the game will be fine again, till the next time, which is pretty frequent.....

Any Ideas?????

:D :o :) :( :? 8) :shock: :lol: :x :arrow: :cry: :!: :evil: :wink: :idea: :?: :P :oops: :x :cry: :evil: :roll:
DFI 790FX-M2R
AMD Phenom 9850BE
2x2gb Mushkin Redline@1066 5-5-5-16
2x 250GB WD 16mb SATA Raid 0
eVGA 8800GTS SC
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

I think XP often uses the pagefile...how much ram do you have and how did you configured your pagefile ??
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Defrag the drive too.
-Derek
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Here's some good Win2000/XP info on NTFS hard drive optimizing
To do a proper disk cleanup FAST - a Registry Key must be cleared.
This assumes you never want to use the "Compress old files"

When the "Disk CLeanup" tool is launched, the first thing it does is to examine all files on the volume to see how much space could be liberated if the files older than a certain date were compressed. On big drives, this can take literally HOURS to finish. To totally skip this horrible default process - find the Reg Key <HKEY_Local_Machine-Software-Microsoft-windows-currentversion-Explorer-VolumeCaches-Compress old files>
With this key open on left, delete the 2 or 3 objects in right pane. A new empty "Default " will be made. Now you can get down to business in a hurry!!
Open "My Computer" & RTclick - Properties the desired Drv Letter.
Note the check box for "Allow Indexing Service..." uncheck it & choose to apply change to all subdirectories. As it applies, choose Ignore All for any error dialogs. Unless you do a LOT of searching of your Hdisk, this is a useless feature to be disabled.
Now you can launch the disk cleanup by button. Check all items you like to have cleaned & let loose.
After it has finsihed, go & look at how totally lame & pathetic a job it does.
Go in the Docs&Settings-User_Local Settings folder of each user & take note of all the TEMP files & TemporaryInternet files it left un-cleaned.
Blow Away all in the Temp Folder for each User.
Blow away all under Content.IE5 for each User.
Now, back in Properties of the C: drive - choose the TOOLS tab & defrag.
Things willsoon run a bit smoother.