Screwed up

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Random

Screwed up

Post by Random »

Alright. I have an ATI 128 card in my BP6. I normally bring my cpu to work and attach it to a different monitor. I brought it to work yesterday and now it visually hangs. After the XP screen goes to black it hangs. The CPU boots and I can login. I can hear it and see the HD activity light. The only changes I made lately were to the monitor refresh settings and the resolution. I've tried all the F8 boot options. Any ideas on how to get back to good? If anyone knows how to do a system restore from the command prompt that'd be cool too.
Balance
purrkur
Linux Guru

Re: Screwed up

Post by purrkur »

Random wrote:The only changes I made lately were to the monitor refresh settings and the resolution.
There you have it. You have bumped the resolution up to something that your monitor cannot display. The easiest solution would be to find a monitor that supports the resolution that your screen at work can do and then lower them.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

If you press F8 just before the XP logo screen you will be able to start windows in VGA mode. VGA mode will reset your video settings and allow you to boot normally.
-Derek
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

um...ya...
If you reset the settings in XP you would have been given the 15 second window to accept by clicking YES or decline by clicking NO. If you chose an option the card or monitor couldn't handle you should not have been able to click either which sould have sent you back to your previous setting.
Did your system possably load the wrong drivers for the ATI card you have?

Let us know how you correct the issue.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
headseed

Post by headseed »

davd_bob, but if he was at work with a monitor with greater capabilities then he might have changed it to something that will not work on his home monitor. At least this is what I think he means.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently