Flashing Bios with out a floppy Please help out of options

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Snowmirage

Flashing Bios with out a floppy Please help out of options

Post by Snowmirage »

I recently got my BP6 and was all excited to start building a little dual CPU to start messing with, i got everything up and running and am running a dual boot with Linux and XP pro (2 seperate HD's).

Everything was fine till i started overclocking, at 550mhz on both cpus (i have to 366 celleys) i keep getting mouse and keyboard lock ups in windows xp, it seems like the system is still running just the mouse wont move and the keyboard wont do anything Num lock wont even come on/off.

So I tried that IRQ fix listed on the sit.. still same problem.. so i figured i better flash the BIOS. To my amazment i didnt have a floppy drive in my spare parts pile so i had to gut my gameing system and borrow that one, tried that drive and cable (which works fine on my game system) along with 3 others i borrowed from friends. None of them will work i get some kind of I/O error.

So i decided to try to boot xp into safe mod and the command prompt. Well I cant remember if my other machines do this but when i hit safe mode with command prompt on the bp6 it loads the windows GUI then opens a DOS window and i cant flash the bios from there.

I then tried to copy the files from an MS-DOS floppy boot disk on to a spare hard drive along with the bios flash files, when i tried this i got an error NTLDR missing when trying to boot from the hard drive, read online tried fixmbr command from windows xp cd still same issue. When i tried this i had both the windows xp drive and the linux drive unpluged.

So i then went to this site http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#require and made several attempts to creat a bootable CD. Everytime i try to boot from that CD I get a flashing cursur, and thats it.. it doesnt seem to do anything after the blue screen for the raid contorller (i think thats what that is) comes up.

I have spent 2 weeks simply trying to flash my bios on my bp6 now. And i am out of ideas. As far as i can tell the floppy controller/ the plug on board is bad.

Any ideas? I would realy appreciate it..

Thanks

Snow
Snowmirage

Post by Snowmirage »

um.. sorry not sure how this got posted 3 times it wasnt intentional..
davd_bob
Confused

Re: Flashing Bios with out a floppy Please help out of optio

Post by davd_bob »

Snowmirage wrote: I then tried to copy the files from an MS-DOS floppy boot disk on to a spare hard drive along with the bios flash files, when i tried this i got an error NTLDR missing when trying to boot from the hard drive, read online tried fixmbr command from windows xp cd still same issue. When i tried this i had both the windows xp drive and the linux drive unpluged.
Can you use a different system and SYS that spare hard drive from an MS-DOS drive?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Snowmirage wrote:um.. sorry not sure how this got posted 3 times it wasnt intentional..
No problem. I deleted the other two copies.

Derek
-Derek
Snowmirage

Re: Flashing Bios with out a floppy Please help out of optio

Post by Snowmirage »

davd_bob wrote: Can you use a different system and SYS that spare hard drive from an MS-DOS drive?
Im not sure what you mean, i took the spare drive plugged it into another PC copied all files from the MS-DOS startup floppy disk that i made in windows xp via the format command and copied those files onto the spare drive. I then unplugged all other hard disk drives on the bp6 and plug in just the spare (cd drive was still plugged in, well its acctually a dvd drive) when i turn on the computer i get that NTDLR error

I was reading that that error can some times be a bad system file or something in windows or what ever but that cant be it in this case beacuse as far as the bp6 knows there is no windows or linux beacuse those drives were bit plugged in.
Snowmirage

Post by Snowmirage »

update:

Well I tried the floppy again today same drive same cable same disk and suddenly now it works... booted up flashed the bios. Now I loaded up Xp and got an error of some kind dont remember what, then i get some msg from some windows system something telling me to save my work beacuse some system resource or something is going to turn off my comptuer in 30sec or so... now WTH is up with that! lol so it resets and then i get an error saying a windows system file is corrupt or damaged on boot up and to try to repair it with the windows xp cd.

But anyway i have a RAID card otw so im going to wait till it gets here then mess with this some more.. maybe its a virus...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

If I understand what you said, everything was ok at 66FSB but the mouse/keyboard went south at 100FSB? How much did the temps change on the cpus and have you used greese on the BX440HS?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
headseed

Post by headseed »

Sounds like you got the trojan/worm/whatever that causes Windows to reboot constantly. Sasser or maybe one of the other ones I would think. The first thing to do after installing XP is to do all the updates immediately, or install with a CD that has the updates slipstreamed into it.
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently