RedHat Fedora

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

RedHat Fedora

Post by Dave Rave »

ok.
I'm biting a small bullet.
mind, I've physically detached my windows hdd and attached a different hdd and wiped it on install.

I've done Redhat 9.0 b4, but it's all too hard under dial-up with no proxy server.
======================
ok, cable now, and Fedora
fairly minimal desktop using KDE (because I know the name, no preference between it and Gnome as yet)

any obvious pointers RE: nothing beside attach to a DHCP server and run SETI ?

I'll try to keep updates if interested
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

Check for updates, unless you already have.

If you are using it just for seti then there is no need for the gui.

Might be useful to get samba working then you can share the seti directory and moniter it from a windows machine.

The other thing to do is just play around and try things.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

can't figure user privileges
I can get samba on
but get it to come on auto , nope
then theres' lisa ?
I want VNC but still working on that

still, linux is a pain, I think I'll stick to windows.
every program takes an age to start loading.
can't be fast, unless that is the trade off for it being free
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Dave Rave wrote: still, linux is a pain, I think I'll stick to windows.
every program takes an age to start loading.
can't be fast, unless that is the trade off for it being free
Funny you should say that. I good buddy of mine who owns a faster computer than my main system (he ran W2k on it and "upgraded" to XP) sat down at my machine and messed about with my Linux install while I was doing other work. When I got back to him his first words were: "man, this system is fast!".

I don't want to start a flame war here but I find it is funny how Windows users (who have been using Windows for ages and know how to tune it inside out), install Linux once (do a "safe for everybody installation" and when they can't figure it out in a few minutes they will dismiss it as slow, hard and heavy.

Take my word for it when I say that you are not getting the most out of your installation. Yes, it is probably because you are not aware of the ins and outs of Linux and you are probably very used to pointing and clicking your way through Windows and Linux doesn't provide that in the same way. However, don't dismiss Linux as slow just because you don't know how to work it. I can garantee you that I can tune a Linux machine to run just as fast or faster than Windows on the same hardware. This is the reason why I use my 450MHz Pentium II system running Linux at work more than I use my 700MHz Pentium III laptop running XP at work. I am more effective running Linux on that slowpoke than XP on my faster laptop.

However, feel free to say that it is a pain :) I can definitely relate to that, especially if your knowledge level isn't there yet. Oh, in case you are wondering, I know Windows (ALL versions), Solaris and Linux like the back of my hand. I have worked with Windows for the longest period of time...
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel