Java

OS / Drivers / BIOS
tomatoeboy

Java

Post by tomatoeboy »

Now I'm willing to accept the "It's your own silly fault for not installing win2k first" criticism but here's my dilema:

I did have winXP installed & everything was working hunky dory until, I tried to use a lil' program called lightwave 3d which would last a good 10-20 seconds before crashing. Now I knew that it would run OK under win2k but I didn't have that installed. So I decide to install win2k using the boot disks (after many attempts) on a different physical drive to the XP installation. Now I'm in the situation where win2k boots but selecting the XP option in the nt loader takes me to the win2k boot screen & then an error even though it has a different path in the boot.ini file. If anyone can tell me how to solve that (I assume its an XP reinstall thats required & I just can't be bothered probably gonna stick with 2k) that'd be great.

Now for the problem with Java. I have tried to install several different Java flavours and now I have 2 on my machine, one of which won't unistall. I want to uninstall one of them, or more particularly find out where the details of the Java installation are kept in the registry so that I can point them at the right installation.

I've searched through the registry for the words "sun","java",".class","jar" and haven't yet found a key containing the path for the java installation. Anyone know where I might be able to find this key? It's bugging me as I can't install matlab and its causing opera to strop at me.

Here's hoping someone's got an answer that doesn't consist of "Reinstall Windows" 'cause I've already installed it 4 times this month & its begining to get to me.

cheers
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

It's your own silly fault for not installing win2k first! :lol:
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Reinstall Windows :twisted:

Seriously though, I know it's a pain, but seeing as you have more than one problem, it's better to get it just right isn't it?

[InactiveX curses Microsoft with their crummy bootloader and uninstall rubbish]
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I don't want to:!:
:cry: look what you've made me do, my keyboard's just shorted out due to the wetness

If it wasn't that lightwave & matlab don't run on linux I don't think I'd even bother as I've just started getting Mandrake to work for me although it doesn't want to recognise my USB ports and hence my printer but that's for a different post at another time when I've got an opportunity to attack it.

As always guys, your help was invaluable :wink:

Keep the board alive & the BP6 rockin