BeOS 5 PE Max Edition V3.1 Beta 1 released...

OS / Drivers / BIOS
iSDn

BeOS 5 PE Max Edition V3.1 Beta 1 released...

Post by iSDn »

For more details check www.beosmax.org .
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Interesting! I haven't played with BeOS in quite a while now. I sort of lost track of what was going on with it because IIRC, there were several different efforts being made to continue the effort after it disappeared. I figured that if they couldn't unite on a single effort then it probably wouldn't get anywhere...

iSDn: Could you do me a favour and write up a little summary of what the status is on the different after-BeOS projects? How good is it in terms of hardware drivers? Oh, is Python (the programming language) supported?

Cheers,
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

It's a contentious issue, but my great hope is for the Open-BeOS project. This will initially be an open-source clone of BeOS, so that old apps will run and the individual BeOS components can be replaced by new drivers and kits as they are released. Progress has been very swift so far, but the project is still some way off from being an "everyday" OS.

See http://bebits.com/ for news on Open-BeOS releases and progress.

Also, there is Zeta, which is a closed source continuation of BeOS. Depending on who you believe, they may or may not have been granted use of the old BeOS source by Palm. Many people have been unhappy with the way Zeta is being done, and opinions have been very heated.

See http://www.zetanews.com/ for the latest on Zeta.

BeOS Max, Phos, BeOS Developer Edition, etc. are continuations of the free BeOS distribution with new drivers and other useful stuff, so they cannot be considered new operating systems.