Can not install win 2000 pro or Win XP pro. HELP!!

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Freak

Can not install win 2000 pro or Win XP pro. HELP!!

Post by Freak »

First I'd like to thank those of you that are keeping the BP6 motherboard alive and the moders of Bios's.

The problem is that I can no longer install windows 2000 pro on my computer. This is my situation. Not so long ago I brought two 80Gb seagate harddrives of my computer, the thing is that the HPT366 Controller didn't reg that they where 80GB but 10GB. This meant that the HPT366 Controller bios didn't support these two new harddrives. I was still able to use them as 80GB but only if I partitioned them through win2000 boot disks, not Fdisk (10Gb only). Defraging an unsupported 80Gb haddrive let alone two is not an entertaining task. 1% around two hours.

I went searching for a later bios update and found this website, the Holy Grail for BP6 users. Downloaded:

Latest RU BIOS W/PIII and Co Microcode & V1.28 HTP366 Drivers
By: "Roby"

And the people rejoiced. HPT366 Bios displayed 80Gb, defrag 1% in one min. The people rejoiced again.

Then came the day when WinME really shit me (As for all MS software). I decided to install win2000 pro. 1.22, 1.23, 1.28b HPT366 drivers all freeze my computer just as it's getting into the installation screen after the boot disks have loaded, 1.25 asks you if you accept the terms and conditions and thn tells you that it hasn't found any harddrives attached to my computer.

I've tried flashing to:

RU BIOS W/PIII and Co Microcode & V1.26 HTP366 Drivers

HPT366 Bios v1.26 not supporting my harddrives.

Tried flashing my bios to the original RU release by ABIT. Install Win2000 and update the drives in Win2000 to 1.28b then flash my Bios back to:

Latest RU BIOS W/PIII and Co Microcode & V1.28 HTP366 Drivers

But will not boot into windows.

What can I do????
harker

Post by harker »

Lose the HPT and get a promise card to run those drives...I gaurantee your problems will be solved, By the way are they not 100's anyways. Also get the bios that loses the hpt bios screen and you'll get faster boots.
Todd C Harker
Freak

Post by Freak »

Well I worked it out in the end. It took a lot of screwing, but I now am running Win2000 pro with both 80Gb harddrives running as they should or at list as good as I'd hoped.

Thanks again BP6.com
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

So what was the problem? Spread the knowledge in case anyone else has a similar problem. Glad you got it sorted though
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Freak - What did you do to get it to work?

Post by hyperspace »

cfizz34 wrote:I am having the same problem and need help. Can't get any operating system to load, with or without the HPT controller.
Could you give us more details?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i had a problem myself trying to install Win2K, Bsods with ntoskernel.exe and stuff..

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL AN OPERATING SYSTEM LATER THAN 2K!!!

you must DOWNCLOCK your cpu's to their origianl speed..

that may be what solves all your problems right there

Kuun
pieroxy

Post by pieroxy »

harker wrote:Lose the HPT and get a promise card to run those drives...I gaurantee your problems will be solved, By the way are they not 100's anyways. Also get the bios that loses the hpt bios screen and you'll get faster boots.
Hey, how do you "get the bios that loses the hpt bios" :?: :?: :?: I just don't want hpt!!!!!

And thanks again for keeping this forum up!
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

pieroxy wrote:Hey, how do you "get the bios that loses the hpt bios" :?: :?: :?: I just don't want hpt!!!!!
It's right here on the wonderful BP6.com files database.

http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?action=file&id=10 8)