Corrupted my Bios

OS / Drivers / BIOS
harker

Corrupted my Bios

Post by harker »

I am switching to a faster board and giving the BP6 to my Son....well in my hast I tried to flash the bios with a old disk I had and now I get a check sum error. I downloaded the RV bios and tried doing dereks fix but I am a DOS idiot and don't know how to make a autoexec.bat file that self executes. any way when I try to flash manually the 1st 10 boxes or so are red....not written to.... and I have the same problem. Any one that can help? Will the autoexec method let those 1st boxes be written to? Have I permanently fried my chip? Does any one have a dead BP6 laying around they would be willing to sell their Bios chip? Any other options?

Yes I did get a error message about the asset number not matching but got happy fingers and hit enter on accident. That is how all this started.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Hey harker,

I got your email... Sorry I didn't respond... I guess we'll answer here then :)

Derek
-Derek
harker

Post by harker »

no problem....I just thought I get it on the board too
BCN

Post by BCN »

if you want ALL the bios flash updated...

1. load to minimum boot from your dos/windows98/ME boot diskette.

2. put-in the diskette where you have AWDFLASH.EXE and your BIOSFILE.BIN (eg. BP6RV128.bin)

3.now YOU ARE IN A:\ so type this:

AWDFLASH YOURBIOSFILENAME.BIN /PY /SN /CC /CD /CP

and you are done.

if you wanna do an autoexec.bat file, so do it with notepad where you put this line:

A:\AWDFLASH YOURBIOSFILENAME.BIN /PY /SN /CC /CD /CP

then execute autoexec.bat in DOS.

This should solve your CRC checksum errors. I advise the latest RV bios with HPT (but just do not use it...)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
harker

Post by harker »

OK did as instructed and I get a error in BIOS. it says warning

System was not new award bios version!
Please update ROM Bios first....

Now what?

When I do it w/o the switches it flashes but it doesn't right to the 1st 10 or so boxes on the screen.

Am I Screwed? Do I need a new chip?
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Try using the standard RU first. If that works, you can then flash to RV without the switches.

You don't need a new chip if it successfully flashes all sectors.
-Derek
harker

Post by harker »

Damn...tried that and that did not work either....but I only tried the manual method...I did not try an autoexec.bat file...would that matter? 1st 14 sectors ot blocks are red which means write fail.

If I pull the chip from the board will that reset it? Any other ideas? or am I skirewed :cry:
BCN

Post by BCN »

between the manual method and autoexec actually there is no differrence, only that one you write in the comand line, the other you do the file under windows for eg.

If it does no work, then i think it is your chip. try to get the same winbond chip and hot swapping after POST, then flash it with BIOS.

My guess is that you have bios chip partially screwed...
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
nullshark

Post by nullshark »

Hmm, almost sounds like your BIOS was being cached with the "System BIOS Cacheable" enabled in the Chipset section.

From what I've heard (was long ago), if the cache was enabled while trying to flash, the flash utility will write the first bit to the cache in RAM, and then the rest to the BIOS itself, FUBARing the whole process. :(
On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP
harker

Post by harker »

I email Abit and this was their response...went there found my chip and ordered it...21.99 including fed ex. Pretty cheap so any of you who need a bios here you go. also anything special I need to do ? or is it just a matter of pulling the old and puttin in the new? also they say it is flashed with the latest bios.

Dear customer,

Please order a new bios chip for this motherboard from www.excaliberpc.com.

Thank you for choosing ABIT.

Regards
Holodeck2
Modder Extraordinaire

Post by Holodeck2 »

Oh wow, I never knew that they sold those preflashed w00t
yea, back from the dead

If it ain't broken, mod it until it is
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

harker wrote:anything special I need to do ? or is it just a matter of pulling the old and puttin in the new?
Should just be a case of out with the old, in with the new.

Check this guide for the correct physical procedure. Wouldn't want to screw up that nice new chip! :)

http://www.jumperz.de/english/ausbau.ht ... 9c3a741169

If you don't have the correct tool, use a small screwdriver and slowly lever the chip out, alternating between both ends. Go careful now.
Sayang

Post by Sayang »

Same for me

I flashed a bad BIOS: awdflash tells "checksum error"... anyway I forced by using the /f option and succeeded flashing it.

Now I am like harker: the bios doesn't boot but tells ROM checksum error!
Hopefully the bootblock software (that normally loads the bios) is intact and runs: it can boot a floppy in order to flash and restore bios.
BUT the 10 first blocks fail writing (red squares under awdflash)!

I tried RU and RV... always these red squares (10 with RU and 14 with RV)
I tried awdflash 7.5 and 8.4... always these red squares.

Did someone get rid of this write error?

It happened at least to 2 people on the exact same flash blocks: as a result it must be a (software?) issue in the bootblock code (if you're not yet convinced, read hereafter)
My mobo is a 1.0 rev (bought as soon as it was available in the shops) with 2xCeleron I @333MHz (not overclock for ages)

Normally, when the flash is dead, random blocks would fail writing, and also reading!
The same flash area (first 10 blocks, contiguous) fail for both of harker & me!
Moreover with RV bios: 14 blocks fail but with RU bios: only 10 blocks fail, so that 4 blocks can be written when trying to flash RU bios that can't be written when trying to flash RV bios! This proves the flash is not dead but it's a (software?) issue from the bootblock (or from every version of awdflash when in crisis recovery mode).

The bootblock software is very minimalistic: floppy support only (no hard disk) in read-only! and "standard" video output in text mode. This mode is called the crisis recovery (as called on other websites)
Last edited by Sayang on Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dual Celeron 333
Sayang

Any Idea On The Flash Writing Issue?

Post by Sayang »

any idea?

by the way, the ISA card is a legend: the crisis recovery mode works with my old Rage 128 Fury AGP card!
Dual Celeron 333
Sayang

Re: Any Idea On The Flash Writing Issue?

Post by Sayang »

Sayang wrote:any idea?

by the way, the ISA card is a legend: the crisis recovery mode works with my old Rage 128 Fury AGP card!
The ISA card is not a legend, it works: I removed my AGP card and the write error vanished.
Obviously I didn't see anything without any gfx card in, I used the autoexec.bat

Great
Dual Celeron 333