SSH connection

OS / Drivers / BIOS
merker19

SSH connection

Post by merker19 »

Let me first thank hyperspace and the Linux group for all their advice to me when I had RH Linux 9 & 10 (aka Fedora) installed on my BP6 box. Unfortunately, the learning was a little too slow for my tastes on the Linux side, so I decided to change my BP6 box to a Win2K server. I needed an immediate solution for my internal backup and downloading needs... but rest assured hyperspace & co. that I will return to Linux. Thanks.

Here's my current situation. I want to connect from my computer at work to my computer at home using SSH and VNC (I'm using the realVNC.com flavor). The problem is I'm confused... still making progress, but I still need some help to understand everything to make sense of it all.

Here are the pieces in this whole crazy jigsaw puzzle.

At work: I have a Windows 2000 Professional workstation with putty (to connect with SSH) and VNC (3.3.7).

At home: I have a Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) with no ports open, a BP6 box with a very stable installation of Windows 2000 Server, SP4 (the specs are in my sig), and a fresh install of Cygwin that actually appears to work.

Here's what I think the solution is (PLEASE correct and fill in anything that is missing): I open port 22 (for SSH) on my home router to point to my BP6 Win2K Server box. Now the next part is where I get a little confused because of SSH. I *think* I initiate a SSH connection with putty to a "local port" (if someone could explain this part, I would appreciate it. I can't seem to understand why you would forward to a "local port") which then gets directed to my home's real ip address and port 22 to my machine at home where I'm prompted for a username and password. I believe I punch in viable username and password for that machine with administrative priveleges (is this part even secure?) and then connect to my box. After that I should be able to initiate a VNC connection to my BP6 box through this SSH connection. Is this correct??? If someone could outline some step-by-steps on how they did it it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
_merker19

PS --I also wonder about port 22 on my router if it's left open for my machine. Will my machine get hacked?
Abit BP6 mobo (BIOS RU)
2 500Mhz Celeron CPU's
Voltage Regulator mod applied!
640MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB
IBM 14Gig HD
Western Digital ATA/100 160Gig HD (on HPT366)
3Com 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 8x CD-ROM
Ricoh 2x CD-RW
Windows 2000 Server, SP4
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

partly that I understand.....
with a proper VPN, there is a challenge phrase for extra security. but I haven't seen it working yet.

I have a vnc connection to another system, in the firewall spec for port forwarding, you can allow ALL to get to a certain IP with port 22, or you can specify that IP 123.234.0.x is allowed and no other.
and you can use port 222 (like smoothwall does) instead of 22, for dumb hacker-type hiding
merker19

Post by merker19 »

Thanks for the response Dave. I finally figured it all out. Thanks!
Abit BP6 mobo (BIOS RU)
2 500Mhz Celeron CPU's
Voltage Regulator mod applied!
640MB RAM
3dfx Voodoo 3000 16MB
IBM 14Gig HD
Western Digital ATA/100 160Gig HD (on HPT366)
3Com 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 8x CD-ROM
Ricoh 2x CD-RW
Windows 2000 Server, SP4