WinXP shutdown trouble - hard drive cycles power...

OS / Drivers / BIOS
timrichter

WinXP shutdown trouble - hard drive cycles power...

Post by timrichter »

Hi all,

I'm using a BP6 w/ one Cel500 and the HPT366 controller. Everything works great EXCEPT for shutdown.

At the end of shutdown, the hard drive (WD800JB) shuts down (I can hear the "park" action and it spins down), then immediately powers back up. This happens twice before the computer finally shutsdown.

I'm using RU bios and v1.30 HPT drivers. I've copied big files and have done digital video editing - everything else is working great. I'm guessing the HPT366 bios/drivers are the issue - they're the only non-signed drivers in my system.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks,
Tim
masterjack

same trouble as well

Post by masterjack »

I also have the same troble,but i never shutdown at all with any of the os's. I will shutdown but the power supply all ways stays on. The front power button never works to cut it off either? Any help in this would be great.
masterjack

same trouble as well

Post by masterjack »

I also have the same problems,but I never shutdown at all with any of the os's. I will shutdown but the power supply will all ways stay on. The front power button never works to cut it off either? the only thing it will do is power up the system. Any help in this would be great.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

(tongue in cheek)
I've found the solution is to run setiathome and don't turn the computer off.

my bp6's in win2k shutdown fine but stop at
it's ok to turn off the computer

my 2.4ghz will turn off but not the bp6.
so leave em on
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

I also have the same problems,but I never shutdown at all with any of the os's. I will shutdown but the power supply will all ways stay on.
Does the screen say "It is now safe to turn off your computer" or something like that? If so, then you basically haven't got APM/ACPI on Windows.
The front power button never works to cut it off either? the only thing it will do is power up the system.
What if you keep it held down for a few seconds?
my bp6's in win2k shutdown fine but stop at
it's ok to turn off the computer
Are you running the RU BIOS? If you reinstall Windows after the RU flash and setting MP to 1.4, Win2k/XP should soft-power-off for you. Sadly, I don't think there's any way to enable APM after an install. I've heard that you can remove the computer in Device Manager, then reboot from the CD and repair the installation, but I can't vouch for that.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I have my bp6's set to MPS version 1.4
but in the Power Management I have the ACPI turned off....

when it's on, and the win2k is rebuilt to work properly, Iarsn Taskinfo shows 20-30% system interrupts running,... which is a big sap of seti time.
as i leave the pootas on all the time, i don't care about the shutdown thingy....

I haven't done a lot of research on what is causing the interrupts on the system ... as it takes too long rebuilding on a 533mhz
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

I have my bp6's set to MPS version 1.4
but in the Power Management I have the ACPI turned off....
Ah, then that's definitely the problem. You're going to need to enable that for APM (sleep, suspend, soft power-off).
when it's on, and the win2k is rebuilt to work properly, Iarsn Taskinfo shows 20-30% system interrupts running,... which is a big sap of seti time.
What BIOS revision are you using? In some earlier BIOSes there is a big which causes abnormally high CPU useage in SMP/APM. If you haven't already I definitely recommend flashing to the RU BIOS.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp