BP6 doesn't always post after a reset or restart, vcore low

OS / Drivers / BIOS
headseed

BP6 doesn't always post after a reset or restart, vcore low

Post by headseed »

I don't know if these are related, but my BP6 doesn't always post again after a restart in XP or when saving and exiting bios settings. A power cycle fixes this. However, 9 times out of ten when I do this the system does post, but sets the vcore at 2.0 even though it is set at 2.1 in bios. All the other bios options are correct, as it boots at 92fsb, but once winxp loads it crashes soon thereafter (folding) becasue it needs more juice.

If I sit with patience, once in a while it will gracefully restart after bios or restart, and then vcore is correctly set at 2.1. Then everything is ok, but I am always hesitant to restart or anything because I don't want to sit and try to boot it correctly for 5-10 minutes.

I was going to do a linux install this weekend, but I'd like to get this problem worked out first. Do you think I need a CMOS battery? If I do, then why isn't it telling me "settings changed" or whatever at post? Help!
Dual Barton Mobile 1.8ghz
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
lots of BP6s and two VP6s all apart currently
headseed

Post by headseed »

I've been searching around, could it be I need to flash with the batch file that is here for dl from Abit FAE? Does anyone have any idea? :smash:
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Flash with the latest RV BIOS and the problem should be fixed. But if you still want the FAE it's in the BP6.Com Files section: http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?acti ... &file_id=7
-Derek
headseed

Post by headseed »

Thanks Derek, I will try this later today, I want to make sure the machine is booting consistently at 2.1v before I play with the new linux kernel, its supposed to just love smp.

The last bios flash I did was to remove the hpt bios and also display the BP6 boot graphic. I did it manually, with no switches. Could this be the problem? I'll use the batch file and follow the instructions in the articles section here, and report back.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
headseed

Post by headseed »

Well, I wish I hadn't done that. After following all the instructions and flashing the newest Bios, win xp wouldn't boot. I also noticed that the problem of not restarting was also still present.

No biggie, I figure I'll try safe mode... no go, stalls 1/2 way through at the agp.sys file. Again, no biggie, its a secondary machine, I'll reinstall. Didn't bake it through the restart 1/2 way through the install, so I cycled power, and let the install finish. Just went back downstairs and the windows xp welcome screen is up and the mouse cursor is locked.

I shut it down in disgust and am going to watch the Patriot's win.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

heh, I'd take a break after that too!

Which BIOS did you use?
-Derek
headseed

Post by headseed »

The newest one, from the thread a new bios for a new year or whatever it was. Its got an emporer penguin at post. RV I believe.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

headseed wrote: ... an emporer penguin at post. RV I believe.
RV
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
rohan

Post by rohan »

>I don't know if these are related, but my BP6 doesn't always post again
>after a restart in XP or when saving and exiting bios settings. A power
>cycle fixes this.

I have been experiencing similar behaviour. In addition to the freezes after changing BIOS settings, I found that Linux would often fail to switch the power supply off after a shutdown.

I initially thought it was due to a bug in the RV bios, but actually it was due to the configuration of my SDRAM. I removed a DIMM from the third slot and it starting working properly again.
headseed

Post by headseed »

I only have two sticks of 256MB PC133 Crucial, nothing in third slot, works better than trying to get three to play nicely together.

Update: Not only did my last install have the bios acpi set wrong, I believe the PSU was also contributing to the problems. The antec with the screwy powerswitch (cycles power if you touch the power supply near the switch, not good) is out. I put in a generic Duro 400 watt and reinstalled windowsXP, and everything is fine.

Some symptoms returned after a hard lock when trying 94fsb, but after a few resets and a cmos reset it seems to be fine again.

When I get the rma antec back I will try it again, it is about twice the weight of the duro 400 watt despite 'only' a 300. I don't trust this duro, but I am happy to have hopefully resolved this issue.
Venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz