Generally speaking, does Win XP Pro work with the BP6?

OS / Drivers / BIOS
herman

Generally speaking, does Win XP Pro work with the BP6?

Post by herman »

I've been using Win2K Pro successfully for a couple years on my BP6 system (dual Celeron 400) and am considering upgrading to WinXP Pro. I don't do anything fancy like overclocking and such. Will XP run smoothly or are there serious issues? Forgive me if there's a FAQ about this but my brief search didn't find one.
nullshark

Works fine for me

Post by nullshark »

I used to get blue screens with my SB Live! until I upgraded to the latest drivers (SMP issues) but my XP Pro's been up for 21 days without even a minor problem. I installed a dual-boot with Win98 as a fallback OS in case there was a major screw up but I haven't needed it.

A suggestion would be to visit http://www.ntcompatible.com to ensure that the major apps and games you use will funtion in XP.
On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I'm running (3) BP6 systems - all on XP-Pro for about 7-8 months now.
Single P-III/1100E@1.21GHz
Single P-III/1100E@1.19GHz
Single Cele2 1.1GHz@1.19Ghz
I had to do the BIOS upgrade to RU 1.25 (or later)
Needed the RU-matching Win2K/XP drivers for the HPT366 controller too.
I had to retire the HPT366 on my fastest BP6 & use a Promise ATA100 before it would run stable. Ended up putting Promise card in all three.
Still get regular blue screen crashes with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" message and not yet sure what the offending H/W item is.
Win-XP is the most brittle Windows IMHO. It does have a few nice features to make it worth all the annoyances.
A recent minor disk corruption on one system gave BSOD no matter what boot method was used. Win-XP Chkdsk needed to be run & there was no way to boot to run it. A 2nd FAT32 hdisk had to have WinXP installed to it, and then the NTFS.SYS driver prevented from loading. Finally connecting the corrupted NTFS drive and booting from the FAT32 drive allowed CHKDSK to fix the problem in less than 2 minutes. This is way too much work to just allow CHKDSK to fix a minor disk problem. Yet this was the best support that the clowns at Microsoft could offer me.
Last edited by RRLedford on Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I've been using WindowsXP Pro since it came out, and have had no problems with it at all (apart from it's general sluggishness and bloat, etc).

I use all the standard drivers except v21.83 Detonator drivers for my TNT2Ultra video card. I also have a SBLive! but have only ever used the driver that comes with XP. I do not use the HPT366 at all.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

XP Pro works fine on all of my BP6 motherboards.
g0fvt

Post by g0fvt »

My overclocked and tortured BP6 runs XP pro well... unusually I am using the Highpoint controller.... Although it does not like some combinations of BIOS/DRIVER/BUS clock..... the current combination is stable at 75Mhz fsb but refuses to boot at 66Mhz! I used to run at 82Mhz fsb until I reflected at what a waste of electricity it was running peltiers 24/7!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

In the BIOS, what are the ACPI and APM options set to? They should be enabled.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
johnli

Re: Apm+smp

Post by johnli »

jbo5112 wrote:APM (which supports the power off function) isn't safe to run with SMP (symmetric multiprocessing)
Ehr, what? APM always worked fine on my BP6 with windows, linux and anything else I tried to throw at it. What, exactly, is "unsafe" about it?
Regards,
John
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Apm+smp

Post by hyperspace »

johnli wrote:
jbo5112 wrote:APM (which supports the power off function) isn't safe to run with SMP (symmetric multiprocessing)
Ehr, what? APM always worked fine on my BP6 with windows, linux and anything else I tried to throw at it. What, exactly, is "unsafe" about it?
Same with my systems. Works fine.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
johnli

Post by johnli »

And moving swiftly back on topic, my dual-533 (not OCed, and OCed) was fine with XP for several years, but is now much happier on linux.
Regards,
John
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

APM works to power down my BP6 in Windows (XP and 2000) and BeOS.

I'd like to know what some of these alleged problems are.
rfdillon

More problems with XP and ABIT BP6

Post by rfdillon »

Folks, I have had a terrible time getting XP pro to work well on my abit bp6, specifically the USB port and Nvidia geforce video card show up with yellow question marks, with a message to the effect that the motherboard isn't communicating all the parameters to the OS. I have the RU bios, and I believe 1.23 on the HPT66. I have seen later bioses for the HPT66, but they wouldn't flash. Does anyone have any solutions and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance, and please reply to rfdillon@hal-pc.org. Thanks so much again!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What were the BIOS settings when you installed XP Pro??
Zero point energy