!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Nice thing :)

Unfortunately my XP corporate still tends to nag me with things that were absent in Windows 2000.

Two examples: You can´t simply move a Windows installation to another harddrive by copying all files and restoring the boot configuration. XP leaves some footprint on the hard drive it is installed on (maybe in the MBR?). I used a tool called "BootItNG" (freeware, IIRC) to clean or restore this "signature" on a new drive that an old XP installation was moved to. Works perfectly.

Another thing: There seems to be some bug that corrupts user accounts on fresh installations. Experienced that at least two times. The symptom is: Minimized Windows do go to the taskbar, they just vanish. Only workaround I found yet (recommended somewhere on the web) was to create a new user account.

That´s the main reasons I still run 2000 on my BP6 (XP on my gaming and my music box). Another one is that my old Mustek 12000 SP SCSI scanner does not work with XP (driver should install according to Mustek, but it doesn´t).
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Post by HAL6000 »

I have seen the vanishing windows in XP Pro sometimes too. Another good one if the mouse over text on the task bar. Half the time the text pops up behind the taskbar.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

welcome to microsoft

can't have crappy software from crappy software makers without bugs :)
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
bluliz

Post by bluliz »

got 2 different corperate editions, runs well but some games fail to work properly.

e.g. need for speed underground.

the game installs fine, but you click on the icon on the desktop or anywhere to run the game and a message box appears and saya please insert the correct cd.

yes i did have the play cd in the pc, and i have tried running the exe from the cd. still nothing.

i got around this by using alcohol 120% to make an image of the play disc, the game works fine now.

anyone know why?

:bananadance:
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Which box appears? The windows error box, or the game error box?

I know I have frequent problems with XP error boxes. Just click continue and everything will work :)
-Derek
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Might be the CD drive. If have an older Pioneer DVD reader and a 24x CDROM which have problems with some copy protected (original) game cds. Had to use cracks for that.

I think they are overdoing this copy protection thing. They say Far Cry does not install on systems with certain CD burning programs (IIRC CloneCD and Alcohol), and that Painkiller will use the same protection. Along with some Securom of Safedisc, of course.

This costs a lot of money and won´t keep the freaks from copying anyway. It only hurts the average user.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
bluliz

Post by bluliz »

the drive was a day old sony dvdrw ans also and 52,32,52 artec drive, they work fine.
its a windows xp error. my mate is running the same version of xp and he gets it aswell for nfsu,

it works on my laptop(legal windows) and that has alcohol and nero.

i think the newer games can tell if windows is not legit. only games have this problem, all other software works fine

to copy anything all you need it alcohol 120% and clonyxxl

cloyxxl can tell the encryption and then alcohol can image and burn with the correct encryption
unknown1x

answer to ur NFS UG...

Post by unknown1x »

come to think about it.. is it pirated version? ^^
only pirated version come with such problem.. check the CD for a "crack" folder. copy and replace the one in ur NFS directory..
what u get from Alcohol 120 is something like no-cd patch.. ^^
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Wolfram wrote:I think they are overdoing this copy protection thing.
In video equipment as well. My sister tried to copy Disney VHS(that she owns) to DVD so her 4 year old could watch videos on trips between Houston and Dallas.
The DVD recorder refused to copy them. The message was...
"Protected Material"
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100