Activate 128 irq on BP6

OS / Drivers / BIOS
clement

Activate 128 irq on BP6

Post by clement »

Hello,

I remember it was possible to activate virtuals irq on bp6. Usually, it was with MPS 1.4 activated. It's activated, and I still don't have the 128 irqs i would need... (I'm under xp pro)
Any idea ?
Thanks,
Clément.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I am pretty sure ACPI (Advanced Computer and Power Interface) turns on the virtual IRQ's. Is ACPI turned on in the BIOS?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
nullshark

Post by nullshark »

2000 & XP have 255 virtual IRQs above 15, FYI.

Your XP is using virtual IRQs by default unless you hit the F5 key and specifically chose "Standard PC" during installation. If your XP was installed with the ACPI HAL (which it is by default) then it's already fooling all your devices into thinking that they're all on their own IRQ (even if they all appear to be on the same IRQ in Device Manager - I've seen systems where everything was on IRQ 9).

Check here for the Knowledge Base article.

I'm not sure what's telling you that you're not using virtual IRQs?
On a torpedo to Hell
ASRock 939 Dual Sata II mobo--2x 2200+--2GB RAM--ATI x800XL--2x Seagate Cheetah 15K.3s on LSI 20160 HBA--WD 400GB Caviar RE2, Maxtor 300GB, 3x Maxtor 120+ GB = 1.1TB storage--Sony Dru-820A DVDRW--Diamond Xtreme 7.1 sound--Win XP
clement

thanks

Post by clement »

Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies. I have ACPI installed (and when I disable it in the bios, xp won't boot). Thank you to nullshark for the very interesting link. So, I must have virtual irq...
Anyway, I'm disturbed by this new presentation of XP : with 2000, I think I remember seeing in device manager every virtuals irq. How is it possible to see them now, with xp ?
And, by the way, how can you diagnostig a bad hardware configuration problem, if irq interference means nothing ?

Regards,
Clément.
HAL6000
SETI Guru

Re: thanks

Post by HAL6000 »

clement wrote:Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies. I have ACPI installed (and when I disable it in the bios, xp won't boot). Thank you to nullshark for the very interesting link. So, I must have virtual irq...
Anyway, I'm disturbed by this new presentation of XP : with 2000, I think I remember seeing in device manager every virtuals irq. How is it possible to see them now, with xp ?
And, by the way, how can you diagnostig a bad hardware configuration problem, if irq interference means nothing ?

Regards,
Clément.
If you do not wish to use ACPI, I never do. You will have to change the driver in windows before you disable it in the bios. As you found windows will not boot if you disable it when it is trying to use it.