Mandrake 9.1 install hassles

OS / Drivers / BIOS
matthew

Mandrake 9.1 install hassles

Post by matthew »

Anyone tried to install this new distro yet? I have a dual p3 BP6 with W2k installed, it runs as well as anything M$ put out, but I cannot get Mandrake 9.1 to install. 9 will install, as I have tries it, but I want the latest desktops for starters.

The install process hangs part way into installing the RPMS packages. All the other consoles still work, as is the X desktop, I can Ctrl Alt F8 out of it to see the other consoles for clues, but I see none.

I have used Kernel boot parameters like mem=640M noapic acpi=off ide=nodma apm=power-off

but no joy, looking for some ideas. Ah yes I have made the change to EC10 its somewhere about 1500micro farads, so there is no stability issues yet!
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Maybe an IRQ conflict/ACPI issue? Just a wild guess. I have installed 9.1 over 9.0 without any problems. Kept all my settings and system response is noticeably better with 9.1 / KDE 3.1.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
matthew

Your config

Post by matthew »

May I ask then where you have the cards located. I understand there are some shared interrupts between the cards, HPT controller, which I am not using (yet?).

Machine is 2*P3/800 640MB, 2*80GB Seagate, Adaptec 2940, external tape, XMicro Ti4200 128MB, 3C905B.

I will have a look at this issue, and look at card settings, many thanks for your suggestion, there is no hint of any problems ie nothing gets displayed. Funny thing is the system still responds. Oh well back yo it I go.

Matt
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

From top to bottom:

AGP G400

PCI 3com NIC
PCI Fritz ISDN
PCI TV-Card
PCI SCSI AHA2940

ISA NE2000 NIC
ISA SB AWE64
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
matthew

Changed a few cards

Post by matthew »

Thank you for that. Reinstalling now, only one monitor sorry!

Ti4200 AGP
empty PCI
3C905B
Adaptec 2940
WL200 Wireless NIC
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
empty ISA
empty ISA

Drives are formatting, I wish they had an oprion where it did not either check (e2hscf) or format, it wastes so much time.
matthew

Post by matthew »

No joy, will try again tomorrow night, its nearly midnight here (Australia). Thank you for your suggestions and my apologies for the bad typing.

Matt
matthew

Post by matthew »

TOm, no I didn't use a download accelerator, but I am starting to think I may either have a bad hdd or a bad image burnt onto CD. I have tried about 20 install's . I have selctively loaded kernel boot parameters, at least the ones I beleive I need.

I am using ide=nodma to counter a DMA timeout I saw on standard install
mem=640M just for good measure, no harm doen really
noapic since I believe this is required, maybe it isn't and I should leave it.

I am interested if you did a standard install or had to do anything special. My symptom is a stop in the CD spinning, part way into packages installing, and the HDD light flashes about three times over the next minute and the process stops. X is responding but nothing else is evident. The package list being installed is stopped, no particular point in the process. I have seen particlar packeages several times but the logs in /mnt/root/drakx/install.log indicate they are fiels missing from the disks.

I think I will try another image, downloaded fresh.

Any comments, oh are you running Celereons?

Thanks, and pls pardon any bad typing.
Matt
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I think it´s _possible_ that your CD image is corrupt. When 9.1 was released, all ftps were under heavy load and one of the three images I downloaded was truncated. I only noticed it because I got a warning message when I tried to burn it.

According to the FAQ your Adaptec shares its IRQ with the HPT366, and the WLAN NIC and the Soundblaster share another IRQ. Though there are no problems for you with Windows 2000, this _might_ cause problems under another OS. Btw, do you use ACPI under Win2K?

If your new image also fails to install, I would swap the 3com NIC (dedicated IRQ for that 2nd PCI slot) and the Soundblaster and see what happens.

I had installed Mandrake 9.1 on my machine (dual Celerons, look at signature) without any additional parameters and without hassles. I don´t think your P3s cause your troubles, especially because Win2K runs fine, but who knows? Are you sure Win2K uses an both CPUs (an MPS HAL)? If not, check in device manager/computer.

Best regards,

Wolfram
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I think Wolfram may be right about a possible IRQ issue. In both of my BP6 systems I have the sound card in PCI slot 2, the NIC card in PCI slot 3 and the Adaptec card is in PCI slot 4 in one system and PCI slot 5 in the other. Try this combination in your system.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...