SMP help!!!

OS / Drivers / BIOS
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

You need to start QuakeIII in realtime for it to SMP properly.

In your QuakeIII folder, make a new txt document and paste in:

start /realtime /max quake3.exe +set r_smp 1

Then rename the txt file to quake3.bat, and run it.

I've never noticed any difference with SMP enabled, BTW.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Yeah? What are your CPU speeds and FSB speed?
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
loophole

Post by loophole »

I had Quake 3 running under Linux in SMP mode but I didn't notice a maximum speed improvement. I did however notice that when the action heated up (many more players on the screen) the frame-rates didn't drop as low as they did when only one CPU was being used.

loophole
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
wickie

Post by wickie »

The HPT366 problem can be caused by using a windows driver with a different version than the HPT-BIOS version - try to use the same version.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

InactiveX wrote:You need to start QuakeIII in realtime for it to SMP properly.

In your QuakeIII folder, make a new txt document and paste in:

start /realtime /max quake3.exe +set r_smp 1

Then rename the txt file to quake3.bat, and run it.
I always forget this. Thanks for reminding me :)
I've never noticed any difference with SMP enabled, BTW.
I did. But most of the time I had fewer fps with SMP enabled.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Wolfram

Re: SMP help!!!

Post by Wolfram »

DjOutKast wrote:I've owned my BP6 since 98 and I've not once gotten a game like Quake3 or Alice to work with turning SMP on via "r_smp 1" soo as I turn it on the game freezes on start. I did however get Castle Wolfenstienn to load up to those rendered flags with the intro in SMP once but it quickly locked.
There is no Quake3-Engine game but Quake3 itself that ever ran with SMP enabled. Even in Quake3, SMP support was broken with some patch. I remember I had RTCW running with SMP enabled for a minute or so, but it always finally crashed. Didn't work even for a second with Alice.

If SMP works and if it gives you a performance improvement also depends on the graphics card drivers and the resolution used. IIRC, an article on Firingsquad found SMP to be faster on a Geforce card with lower resolutions and detail settings.

There is some special opengl32.dll on the net for Geforce cards(IIRC) to make SMP work or work better in Quake3. Can't remember if this one even worked with the later or final versions of Q3A.

If checked the SMP support occasionally with a Matrox G400 and with a Geforce2MX, with the full version and the final patch and with the demo. Results varied wildly.
I was also having problems with my HPT366 and a 20 gig drive I have it doesn't read fast runs worse than if I connect it to the normal 40 pin ide I was wondering if I should update the HPT BIOS to the new one included in the P3 hacked BIOS even tho I will run my 433's I read alot of bugs with certain drive were corrected in the new HP 1.28 bios should I use it?
The HPT366 doesn't seem to like some types of drives. Right now I have a 120 GB Samsung SV1203N working on it (knock on wood), before that I used a Fujitsu MPG 40GB and a Western Digital 20GB. Various Seagate drives had issues (Barracuda 5400.1 40GB, Barracuda IV 80GB, Barracuda 7200.7 80GB, U7 60GB) ranging from being not recognized at all to data corruption. Most people will recommend to use an external controller. For an older 20GB drive, the standard onboard IDE should still be fast enogh (~25MB/s max. for me).
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »