Auto Power down

OS / Drivers / BIOS
tomatoeboy

Auto Power down

Post by tomatoeboy »

I've got Mandrake 8.2 running on my machine next to WinXP & I'm begining to really like it now I'm begining to find my way round (primarliy due to the girlfriend never stopping playing the games on it). On thing that really bugs me is the fact that it won't power down on its own.

It goes through the shutdown sequence finishing with the words "Power Down" and a noise that sounds like the hard drives turning off but then the machine just sits there like a lemon. i know the BP6's ACPI was never fantastic but doesn't anyone know how to sort this?
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

I'll try & catch that, it sometimes whips past a bit quick. One that I have noticed failing is usb support, not too much of a problem as the only usb device I have is a colour printer & I can print anything I want out on my mums computer instead (or just boot windows)
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

I am also running 8.2 and I have a working usb. As far as the APM goes... I never shut mine down so its not an issue. But the fact that it doesn't work in smp is interesting. I never use it though so I guess its not a problem.
loophole

Post by loophole »

APM is almost completely dissabled on systems with more than one CPU - it's just something that the Linux kernel does.
I guess because if you've got more than once CPU, your system would be classified as at least a small server, and you wouldn't need it on a server.

I don't think there is a way to get APM working with SMP, until they release a kernel that functions that way.
Still kicking along with the Abit BP6 :-)
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

ta for the info. That kinda makes sense. I'll just have to linger next to my machine for that extra 20secs while it closes down. Can't sleep with it on, its just too damn noisy
tapeworm

Post by tapeworm »

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

a live cd (fully installable) with debian and a 2.4.19-xfs smp kernel.
try it.
it uses apm (don't ask me how...), and exactly that line in lilo.
it switches off my bp6 regularly.
it is also great in getting 3d working (tested on a voodoo3 and a radeon ddr)

btw, in my current system i don't use apm, but acpi. there is a bug with button detection and smp (so i can't use the wanderful acpid to switch off bp6 using the power button), and it did not always switched off my pc. but after changing from a geforce 2 mx to a radeon ddr, now it works regularly (again, don't ask me why...)

update: no, i was wrong, even now acpi doesn't always switch my pc off...
ImagePowered by Debian Sid/Unstable on 2.6.8-1-686-smp...