Modifications

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:SWEET!

not only am i like the third in who talks the most, but one of my topics is third for most replies

sweet i feel special :twisted:

another thing

do we have benchmarks for al lthe different CPU's that can be used i nthe BP6 (you know the celerons and P3's with neo's and 1100E's ect)

i think that'd be something useful for those who wish to actually see which cpu's do what and they can compare preices enar them based o nthe performance of each set of cpu's or single cpu's

jsut a thought

Kuun
We do have a lot of benchmarks, but they need to be organized. I've already posted some pictures in the database.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

cool
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

derek,

i just got another brilliant idea

a central links page would be terrific

you know links to place to get certain hardware parts and components and cards and blah blah

you know.. a "links" page on the forums

Kuun
(p.s. maybe i should make a thread called kuun's brainstorming ideas)
!!! WARNING !!!

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:derek,

i just got another brilliant idea

a central links page would be terrific

you know links to place to get certain hardware parts and components and cards and blah blah

you know.. a "links" page on the forums

Kuun
(p.s. maybe i should make a thread called kuun's brainstorming ideas)
We're already ahead of you :P a Links Database has been in the works for quite some time but I had to finish some other parts of the website before I could get the Links online.

Expect it soon.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

woohoo!

i'd be willing to help on that one

MY gf is really good at stuff like that

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!

vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

why is the message board blue. i am not a fan of blue. i see you can also make it white, though that looks worse than blue. why dont you let the users chose there own colors and color combinations for the message board. i wouldnt mind some very simple skinnging options. it could very easily be done with style sheets.
also the bp6.com logo looks very silly, almost like bpb or 6p6. and the red and yellow accents cutting diagonally into the top and bottom on the corners stand out quite a bit. it does fit the overall style and theme of this layout, but yeah as i said earlier i dont really like blue a great deal

so then out of curiosity what front end are you using to run this whole site. e107 (http://www.e107.org) has some very nice skins and such. plus its easy to make your own.

and yes my entire computer has matching skins and themes for everything possible. i would show you all but the print screen button has not really done anything in years so yeah. point is i care how things look
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i would have to disagree with you on several things

the blue looks good imho and the logo is excellent itself, it has a "Atari" feel to it and i love it

althought i do like your idea of allowing simple skinning like colors and such

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

vgoraz wrote:why is the message board blue.
Why? Because blue is what we decided to make the default colour.
vgoraz wrote:i am not a fan of blue.
Noted.
vgoraz wrote:i see you can also make it white, though that looks worse than blue.
You are a tough person to please! If you can explain what you don't like about white I'll do my best to change it.
vgoraz wrote:why dont you let the users chose there own colors and color combinations for the message board.
The way this site is setup makes it difficult, I’ll explain a few lines down.
vgoraz wrote:i wouldnt mind some very simple skinnging options.
Neither would I. Honest.
vgoraz wrote:it could very easily be done with style sheets.
"Easy" has different perspectives; you (the user), and I (the one who has to implement it).
vgoraz wrote:also the bp6.com logo looks very silly, almost like bpb or 6p6.
I knew someone would say that sooner or later... Personally I like it; it's unique. I'll try out some different fonts and see how they fit.
vgoraz wrote:and the red and yellow accents cutting diagonally into the top and bottom on the corners stand out quite a bit.
Accents tend to stand out.
vgoraz wrote:it does fit the overall style and theme of this layout, but yeah as i said earlier i dont really like blue a great deal
Noted again.
vgoraz wrote:so then out of curiosity what front end are you using to run this whole site.
I used some code left over from an old portal project and modified it for use at BP6.Com and integration with phpBB. When I first started coding (with the help of Meik @ Opentools.de) I did not have in mind multiple templates and user-created templates and created a one-style only portal. So, to modify the templates and code will take some time. Eventually it will be changed.
vgoraz wrote:e107 (http://www.e107.org) has some very nice skins and such. plus its easy to make your own.
Yes, it is a nice website. But it doesn’t have the message board (community) integration of BP6.Com.
vgoraz wrote:and yes my entire computer has matching skins and themes for everything possible.
That explains a lot :D
vgoraz wrote:i would show you all but the print screen button has not really done anything in years so yeah. point is i care how things look
I care how they look too, and the template system will change. But priorities need to be made and for now we need to get the site rolling by adding content and functionality. If you would like to see some specific colour schemes become available, I would be happy to hear them.

Sorry the short responses but I need to head out. I’ll be back and working on the site in no time :mrgreen:
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

excellent job answering my questions about as concisely as possible. before doing any major color, logo, or theme change work though you should do a poll or something for what color combinations we like. in the meantime i will try and come up with a few suggestions myself and create a couple variations of the bp6.com logo and also see what specifically i would like to be changed with the white theme.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

It's such a subjective thing, isn't it? Comments should be welcome, in my opinion, but Derek has overall editorial control and the final decision ought to be his.

I like the look, just my 0.02 Galactic Credits. :-)

"You can't please all of the BP6 users all of the time." - !=Abraham Lincoln.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i agree

derek should have complete and sole dictatorship control over what the site looks like,
now small skinning options would be great, like colors and such, but changing the logo and whatnot because one person doesn't like it, i cannot agree

what about the fact i LIKE it? i want him to keep it, does that mean he has to keep it just because i say so?
!!! WARNING !!!

vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

well thats why it would be cool to have different skin options for different people, then we all would like the look of the site

and yes its derek's site, he can do what he wants with it
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

InactiveX wrote:It's such a subjective thing, isn't it? Comments should be welcome, in my opinion, but Derek has overall editorial control and the final decision ought to be his.

kuun wrote:i agree

derek should have complete and sole dictatorship control over what the site looks like,
now small skinning options would be great, like colors and such, but changing the logo and whatnot because one person doesn't like it, i cannot agree

what about the fact i LIKE it? i want him to keep it, does that mean he has to keep it just because i say so?
vgoraz wrote:well thats why it would be cool to have different skin options for different people, then we all would like the look of the site

eek! Kuun, my name is Derek, not Saddam! This is no dictatorship :) I understand what you mean but I don't change things on BP6.Com for me, I change things because I thought it would be best for the site and for the people who browse the site.

BP6.Com isn’t "my" site; it is "our" site. That may sound corny, but it’s the way I see it and it’s why I will do my best to keep everyone happy with BP6.Com. Anyway, if you do want to name someone the “owner” of BP6.Com that person is Tim! (I'm just the guy he trusts with the keys ;))

So, if you want something to be different, chances are that I’ll change it for you.

Shucks, I have to run…

Derek
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Derek wrote:
InactiveX wrote:It's such a subjective thing, isn't it? Comments should be welcome, in my opinion, but Derek has overall editorial control and the final decision ought to be his.

kuun wrote:i agree

vgoraz wrote:well thats why it would be cool to have different skin options for different people, then we all would like the look of the site

eek! Kuun, my name is Derek, not Saddam! This is no dictatorship :) I understand what you mean but I don't change things on BP6.Com for me, I change things because I thought it would be best for the site and for the people who browse the site.

BP6.Com isn’t "my" site; it is "our" site. That may sound corny, but it’s the way I see it and it’s why I will do my best to keep everyone happy with BP6.Com. Anyway, if you do want to name someone the “owner” of BP6.Com that person is Tim! (I'm just the guy he trusts with the keys ;))

So, if you want something to be different, chances are that I’ll change it for you.

Shucks, I have to run…

Derek
Glad we got that cleared up! :biglaugh:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

heh,

well i was just stating my point of view
!!! WARNING !!!

vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

now as for some suggestions on what i dont like about the white message board:

first of all the remaining of the background remians dark blue so it looks really silly (dont know any better way to describe it. also in the blue theme, when you quote people you get these really cool slightly different shade of blue box that gets formed so its nice and simple to quickly see the quotes. the white theme merely outlines it and keeps it the same color as the post.
i do like how the white is alternated with grey as its easy to differentiate between posts that way, but well the rest of the page is still dark blue.
also maybe instead of having white background with grey writting for the you have no messages, your profile, mark all read, etc things at the top, i would think having it dark gray back with white writting on top would look nicer like how the Private Control Panel is written.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

vgoraz wrote:now as for some suggestions on what i dont like about the white message board:

first of all the remaining of the background remians dark blue so it looks really silly (dont know any better way to describe it. also in the blue theme, when you quote people you get these really cool slightly different shade of blue box that gets formed so its nice and simple to quickly see the quotes. the white theme merely outlines it and keeps it the same color as the post.
i do like how the white is alternated with grey as its easy to differentiate between posts that way, but well the rest of the page is still dark blue.
also maybe instead of having white background with grey writting for the you have no messages, your profile, mark all read, etc things at the top, i would think having it dark gray back with white writting on top would look nicer like how the Private Control Panel is written.
Most of the things you have outlined haven't been completed yet as the style is still in progress (that's a good thing because some of your requests were planned). However, the white page background doesn't really fit nicely with the header and footer of the page. I was going for functionality, really, not as much aesthetics. I’m going to make some changes to the white theme in the coming days (work out some bugs etc.) so keep your suggestions coming guys.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see a change the styles immediately, it take me a little bit longer to get around to.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

derek

i have another suggestion

we be able to delete our own threads unless you make it stick or whatnot (in case duplicate threads are created)

i made a duplicate thread today by accident.. and couldn't delete it

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!

the_flames

Post by the_flames »

one Idea for the 56k users could be for pages were ppl have posted images insted of them being displayed within the post have a link to the image ... details on the file size and/or the image dimentions would also be nice.

If that was toggable within the users preferances it would be nice.

but dont bother if something like that would increace the server load as I like the load speed of this great site ;)
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

the_flames wrote:one Idea for the 56k users could be for pages were ppl have posted images insted of them being displayed within the post have a link to the image ... details on the file size and/or the image dimentions would also be nice.

If that was toggable within the users preferances it would be nice.

but dont bother if something like that would increace the server load as I like the load speed of this great site ;)
That idea was brought up before (I think by Kuun). I have it noted in my "to-do" list for BP6.Com :)

I don't think it would increase the server load, but even if it did we have nothing to worry about :P Plenty of power to go around!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:derek

i have another suggestion

we be able to delete our own threads unless you make it stick or whatnot (in case duplicate threads are created)

i made a duplicate thread today by accident.. and couldn't delete it

Kuun
That is a tough decision to make. The majority of sites do not allow users' to delete their own posts.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

well i mean, if someone has posted or something you shouldn't be able to, but like what i did, you don't want multiple threads of the same thing do you?

mistakes happen
!!! WARNING !!!

kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

ok derek,

didn't know where to stuff this one...

what are these disc icons?

im guessing that it has something to do with attatchments?

Kuun
!!! WARNING !!!

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:ok derek,

didn't know where to stuff this one...

what are these disc icons?

im guessing that it has something to do with attatchments?

Kuun
Yup, attachments. They where there all the time, but I had accidentally turned them off and only turned them back on a few days ago. I also replaced the original "clip" image with the large disk.

I'll switch it back to the clip as soon as I format the image to work in both forum templates.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i just wanna shrink that disc down a couple sizes...

it's offset with the rest of the site.. white dun go good with blue and black

smaller and.. say a... red or yellow colored floppy disc would look good imo

just a suggestion
!!! WARNING !!!