38%
Indifferent.
15%

Total votes: 13

Derek
Site Admin

Rank System

Post by Derek »

Registered users will maintain the rank of "Registered User". If your a subscribed member, you get the cool red rank of BP6.Com Member. :)
Last edited by Derek on Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Not really sure what value it adds to the forum. I mean I'm not against it but I don't know how often I look at the post count/title of the person I'm getting a reply from/is asking a question and use that to decide how much I believe their answer. I tend to give it a go & see what happens. You get to learn from reading the posts who knows what they're talking about & who is just taking a shot in the dark.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Yea, to tell you the truth I'm not a fan of it either.
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

heh

i wanna input my opinion

i like it,

on another forum (i know i talk about other forums, im just giving you ideas and suggestions from other places i have visited) in the past we used to have competitions to see who could make the most posts and maintain the "lead"

basically it was to see who could be the ultimate spammer

i liked it

prolly dont apply here :P

Kuun
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I don't really like the sound of that. I agree with tomatoeboy - you get to know who the experts are and who the BSers are just by hanging around for a while. Also, like kuun says, it encourages spamming.

Is someone who has posted 200 messages containing the same piece of advice more of an "expert" than someone who has made five posts containing unique info? I don't think so.

Mind you, the poll says most are in favour, so maybe it would be useful to some?
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i didnt suggest people base their opinions on who has posted alot,

you can tell who has been around while by the date they signed up and how many posts they've made if you use that,

i'd believe someone who's been here like 6 month or so with 2K posts than i would someone who's been here a month with 00 posts,

it's jsut my opnion
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

First post edited.
-Derek
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

I think it goes against the original reason this board was created! We were all new once. :whoops: I see loads of new users come on here and ask the same old questions!!!! But everyone still answers them politely.... :thumbs: we've all been there! Its scary enough owning a BP6 and getting it to work.. :twisted: let alone worrying whether your post or ranking is credible or not. :shame: :smokin:
:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

onelegdis wrote:I think it goes against the original reason this board was created! We were all new once. :whoops: I see loads of new users come on here and ask the same old questions!!!! But everyone still answers them politely.... :thumbs: we've all been there! Its scary enough owning a BP6 and getting it to work.. :twisted: let alone worrying whether your post or ranking is credible or not. :shame: :smokin:
:bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:
oneleg: It has nothing to do with credibility, I just wanted to fill the empty space. You either have few posts, or you don't. If you really don’t like it, I’ll remove it man, just say the word.

I would rather replace every single rank with BP6.Com Member :D

Edit: I really do appreciate your input; I need it to make the site better. I maintain it for both you and I and I won't know if it's working for you guys unless you speak up.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

After thinking about the ranks some more (after reading oneleg's post) everyone is now a registered user ;)
-Derek
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i liked my post-a-matic status >:|
!!! WARNING !!!
The following forums: www.bp6.com
are infected with the following VIRUS(s): Kuun.infected.all.posts.Win2K.user

The following IRC servers has been exploited: irc.bp6.com
with the Following Exploit: Kuun.lurks.using.mIRC.v5.82.exploit
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

kuun wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i liked my post-a-matic status >:|
Fixed
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

On www.3dcenter.de, a german message board I attend regularly (more than 1.200.000 posts), they dedided to hide the posting counter some time ago. User ranks are still active.

The reason was, of course, spam. And the tendency of those counters to mislead unexperienced visitors of the board. I think user ranks do the same. If you read someone´s a "moderator" or "platinum member" with 1000+ posts, he´ll get an undeserved amount of respect and credibilty just by having that rank.

That spam flood emerged during the last 18 months or so when the board grew bigger. The bigger the board became, the higher was the percentage of spam in the posts. It had been an honest 3d hardware board, and it became a playground for [...] <-censored. So the crew decided to stop it. Another side effect was reduced traffic (they had large avatars and signatures (100KB+) before...

Btw, they have a guy on that board who has now the unique rank of "supreme spammer of 3d center forum"... :biggrin:
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

No one is going to spam our message board! :D

Except Kuun

:lol: :tap:
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i resent that...

i don't spam...

i just feel i must reply to all posts in some way :P