Dual PIII bp6?!?!

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I've mentioned this in several other threads - that when I replaced the Dual Cele1s in each of my (3) BP6 systems with single P-III/1100E CPUs, none of the BP6 systems would boot with the processor in the initial socket. They will only boot with the single P-III in one of the two sockets - and it is NOT THE SAME socket either. Two boards only work with socket #2 and one only works with Socket #1.
My speculation on this is that these P-III/1100E chips are much more sensitive to unstable power delivery to the 370 Sockets, and each BP6 has one Socket that is slightly worse than the other. One makes the cut & the other one doesn't.

Did your modding include the upgrades to the CPU capacitors & voltage regulator too? I have put off doing the Dual P-III mods exactly because of this issue. If I can't get the P-III to boot up in either socket I'm considering the board to be a no-go for Dual P-III operation w/o major mods.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Wow, you must be the first BP6-er to have Dual 1100Es running SMP!
You seem so low-key about it though.
I've received my new $13 socket 370 adapters for FCPGA-to-FCPGA2.
They have a 2ND COMPLETE socket 370 mounted on top of the adapter.
It is somewhat of a pain to install with the BP6 Socket370 locking lever in open position colliding with the new Socket370 above.
By setting the angle of the levers just right, it finally does install OK.
I'm still shopping EBAY for a decent deal on the Tualatin 512K CPUs.
I can't understand why they're so pricey!! Will any 512K cache Tualatin CPUs ever drop below $100 soon???
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

ciscokid454, are you saying that the Dual P-III/1100E running on the BP6 gave disappointing results? How so?
You're considering unloading them?
I'm still looking for a deal on a pair of Tualatin 512K.
Meanwhile my two adapters sit waiting to be tested.
I'd consider loaning them to you to test your Tualatins on the BP6.
If they work, you can keep them for the replacement cost.
I'm considering a 2ND P-III/1100E to Dual up my ACORP board, but the ACORP seems to limit & lock down the OC range to what it thinks the CPU can handle. So, a 100MHz FSB CPU can't get up to the 133+MHz levels. This is very annoying, as the board has a jumper to set the FSB at 66/100/133. But when it is set at 133, a 100MHz CPU still goes back to the 100MHz clocking scheme - with a top OC of 115 or 124.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Ciscokid454, so the disappointment with the Dual 1100Es was more related to the limited OC-ing that you were able to get, less to the fact that, even with this limited OC-ing, nobody else in the world is probably running a BP6 at even close to that level of performance.

The Dual 1.13 Tualatins @$85 turned out to be website mis-listed at 512K & were really 256K CPUs - so that deal fell thru. Still working Ebay now.
Nailz

Post by Nailz »

ciscokid454 wrote:i'm thinking it's as simple as microcode not being in the bios..
That could be the case, hopefully someone will have the time to look into it.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Well, I just won my auction for a Matched Pair (2) P-III/1.266GHz/512K Tualatin CPUs on EBay. Cost me $237.50 - not too bad. Also got a pair of Micron Tech PC150 - 256MB Dimms for $61 total earlier in the week.

Now I'm ready to see what these Dual P-IIIII ACORP-6A815EPD boards can do. I'm shooting for an OC of 150+MHz =>1.43GHz. Also, looking to put a matched pair of 8MB cache ATA-100/133 drives on the Promise RAID-Lite controller too. Am I insane to be spending ~$700 on H/W to be hooked up to a $40 mainboard? And I haven't even sorted out the Video option either.

But first I'm going to stick one of the CPUs + FCPGA-to-FCPGA2 ($13) adapter in one of my BP6 rigs - on top of the Neo370 already in place. I'll be posting results late in the week.