How to make a quiet heatsink/fan?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

you can buy things to do this but buying things tends to be the less cool way of doing things. all you need to do is create a voltage regulator which can be done by using a variable resistor to eat some of the voltage for the fans. of course this would lessen your cooling power but i guess you wouldnt be using the computer to heavily while you are sleeping. there are many sites online that will take you through a step by step process on how to do this. being near 5am though with me having an exam tommorrow, i neither can recall any of those sites nor feel like making a quick tutorial on how to do this (though actually its fairly simple and i am sure could be useful for others). wow this post is way to long for the fact i havent really said to much
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

In tour situation, I've heard that some people have done well by using a big diameter quiet Vantec-style fan 80-92mm mounted to the case & then using automotive silver heater duct tubing inside, to route fresh cool air direct from the fan to the CPU & straight down over the heatsink.
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

lol wow i didnt even think about the simple idea of just getting a new fan to do this. yeah i hear the stealth fans are quiet good at doing this so i would look into those.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Hold on with your plan!
I've tried the vantec 60mm Stealth fans & they were marginal for noise reduction. With two of them running near each other they were doing a WA-WA-WA beat synchronization that was horrible.
I ripped them & my (2) Cele1 CPUs out and went with a single P-III/1100E - cooled by an EverCool 715 copper+70mm fan+Zalman speed controller. The bigger fan gives nearly 40CFPM airflo at full speed, and by slowing it down to to almost silent level there is still some decent cooling happening.
The best hdisks for quite operation are the Seagate Baracuda ATA-IV series. Largest is 80GB & with fluid bearing & sound absorbing design they are unmatched by any 7200 rpm drive (and most 5400 can't equal either).
-A tapered reamer will enlarge the fan holes nicely & cleanly.
-The Zalman northbridge oversize passive heatsing is silent & only needs some airflow from a nearby fan (CPU or case) directed toward it to do a good job & it fits the mounting holes. The Gold model will cool the video card well, if you can give up one adjacent PCI slot.
-The self adhesive sound absorbing sheet kit at www.nexfan.com is often on sale for $10. I got a kit but haven't installed it yet. I'll post results.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

RR: Are you going to install a second PIII in the BP6?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Yes - but not until I get some better info on the regulator & capacitor upgrades!
I've already determined that each of my (3) BP6 systems has at least one sub-par 370 socket as far as powering the CPU weakly. On every one, when I installed the P-III/1100E+NEO370, they would not boot until I switched to the other socket. One works with CPU1 socket & two with CPU2 sockets.
Now that I have only a single CPU in the better of the two sockets - all three systems are running way more stable than they were with dual 366@500. All are now rock solid @110MHz=>1.21GHz.
I had been hoping to hit the 124MHz FSB speed with one CPU before investing in the 2nd CPU and all the mods.
I'm just not that keen to invest so much effort and $, if I can't get at least 2.5GHz combined CPU power .
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

Thought these might help. I've been using 2 Akasa 80mm speed adjustable fans with metal Akasa 60-80mm Fan adapters on my GlobalWin Copper heatsinks. I choose the metal version because they can be bent/modded to fit. The Golden Orbs are round so you might need to be creative in making them fit!