My bp6, I want to run dual p3 1ghz chips.

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
jaguarking11

My bp6, I want to run dual p3 1ghz chips.

Post by jaguarking11 »

Well I have a bp6 that I got from a buddy of myne for very cheep because I wanted something that was dual cpu. Well a friend of myne gave me two exact p3 1ghz chips for it. I also have some sing sing converters that have jumpers on them that say they will make a board compatible from old socket to new socket with no problems.

Now my inquery. I know the bx chipset is not guranteed to do 133fsb but I shure as hell can try. I have choped up a p3 heatsink and remachined it to mount on the old holes with pushpins and hard springs along with arctic silver in between now the thermal conductivity is very good. I will put on a 80mm fan with an adaptor to cool the northbridge.

Now my question is that what else do I have to do to make this thing boot up at the chips speed of a full 1ghz? I havent tested the chips on it yet. ANd does anyone have any experinces with the sing sing converters? I have used one of those convertors to convert a regular p3 mobo to a tualatin one and it also allows for new gen (copermine area) cpu's to be used in older socket 370mobos.

Oh and my ram is 133mhz ecc ram. Any help would be highly apreciated. t
davd_bob
Confused

Re: My bp6, I want to run dual p3 1ghz chips.

Post by davd_bob »

jaguarking11 wrote:...I know the bx chipset is not guranteed to do 133fsb but I shure as hell can try. I have choped up a p3 heatsink and remachined it to mount on the old holes with pushpins and hard springs along with arctic silver in between now the thermal conductivity is very good. I will put on a 80mm fan with an adaptor to cool the northbridge.

...sing sing converters? I have used one of those convertors to convert a regular p3 mobo to a tualatin one and it also allows for new gen (copermine area) cpu's to be used in older socket 370mobos.

Oh and my ram is 133mhz ecc ram. Any help would be highly apreciated. t
Seem like this is a busy time of year for most people and maybe everyone forgot to answer you that actually knows something. In that case let me give it a shot from research but no practice.

1) Your idea with cooling the BX is excelent. I usually get a "chipset" HSF kit for about 12 bucks, when I can find them. If you want to try it, you may also try a peltier for even more effective cooling...if it fits and works. No matter what other people tried the BX usually hits a wall that it can't pass while trying to manage DUAL at 133. Some folks have recorded sucess though with UNI at 133. I have never even got a boot screen at 124fsb.

2) PC-133 ECC. Make sure you use it at rated speed. I mean CL2 or CL3. Unless you are using it in a critical situation you will want to run ECC=disabled. The "error correction" ability slows the ram down one more clock click so CL3 would actually be CL4.

3) sing-sing adaptors?? Maybe you ment Lin-Lin? In any case, the original Celeron by Intel was multi-cpu capable and the BP6 board was designed to take advantage of that. Being so, it is a PPGA celeron socket 370 and requires NEO-S370 adaptors along with some modification on the board and also on the adaptor to bring it up to DUAL FC-PGA ability. As far as I know this is the wrong situation to use any tualatin adaptor, which upgrade FC-PGA sockets to FC-PGA2 capability.

How is the project going so far?
David
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
jaguarking11

Post by jaguarking11 »

Well I have the cpu's and I did mean the lin lin converters.

The converters say that they convert to tualatin pcpg2 and also if you jump them correctly to copermine from the old 370 standard.

I have not tested the workut yet as I have to flash the bios to acept the code from the p3's.

Also any idea what watage pelt do I need to use on the northbridge to put out 133fsb. Im willing to put on a 40w pelt on the northbridge as long as it dosent cause condensation.

I actualy cut up a socket 370 heatsink and mounted it on the northbridge and it still gets decently hot.

Thanks for the repply.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

I have NEVER heard of anyone getting the PB6 to 124 dual, let alone 133!

Let me share with you my successes with this board.

The first BP6 of mine is still running, it is a version 1 board, I have done the single cap mod and changed out the voltage reulator as recommended per this site. I have re-wired the ZIF sockets as required and I am using modified NEO 370 adapters(single trace cut).

The Lin-Lin adapters WILL NOT do what you want them to do, PERIOD!

I am using modified GlobalWIN FEP32 heat sinks(these were the largest and most effective available heat sinks for the Celeron's that will fit on the BP6) with 72 to 92 watt Pelts and modified copper spacers (these pelts are to big for the small die of the 1100E's that I am using, so I made some copper spacers with a hole in the middle, just large enough for the die to stick through and I lapped them so that the height of the spacer equalled the height of the die so that I get proper contact between die, copper and pelt). I then REVERSED the fans (blow down, not up) and this eliminates condensation for the air cooled pelts.

As far as the BX chip set, I lapped the "greenie", applied Arctic Silver and found a "Mini-Pelt" on eBay (cost $4.99 USD! and has its own fan and heat sink) that just fits the "greenie", believe it or not, it is held in place with a cable tie that goes through the "greenie" after it is secured.

I am using the latest BIOS that is the only one that CORRECTLY identifies the PIII's!

I have 2, PIII 1100/256/100/1.75V CPU's, 3 sticks of Corsair PC133 RAM and a GOOD 400W PS.

With this setup I have been running WIN98SE/WIN2K Pro dual-boot @ 110 FSB (for almost three years fairly stable (my SBLive Platinum 5.1 has caused a LOT of problems, Creative does not support surround in 2000 and the work-a-round is a b---h!)

OBTW, CPU's under full load never get over 127 deg F. and BX never goes over 110 deg F.(nornal is 98 deg F. for CPU's and 85 deg F. for the "greenie") both way under max limits.

If I can help, please let me know and good luck!

Regards,

jaybird
jaguarking11

Post by jaguarking11 »

WOW thats allot of work on that board.

Well I may as well buy a dual p3 board off e-bay and sell this one.

Is there a for sale and wanted part to this forum? If anyone is interested in buying a bp6 thats completly stock and unaltered give me a pm.

I realy wanted to run dual p3's @ 1ghz but it seems imposible.

OR I may as well get a p4 mobo and a celeron d and call it a day.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

It may sound like a lot of work but the actual mods on the board took only part of one evening and I am no "PRO" at soldering, believe me!

As for the end results, I am also runninig a Gigabyte dual PIII server mobo with the same PIII's on it, guess which board is faster, it ain't the Gigabyte! (BX Vs Via chipsets, BX, all things equal is almost ALWAYS faster!). You just need to get the heat under control.

Total cost, minus my time, 2 NEO 370's, about $50 USD, cap and regulator(available from Radio Shack) about $5.50 USD, 72watt pelts $7.50 USD Each, Mini-Peltier $4.99 USD.

Your call. I did it "because it was there!" :wink:

Regards,

jaybird
gbltong

Post by gbltong »

To jaybird:

I have a spare BP6 to play with.

Can you supply info on:

What FC-PGA socket PIII 1100Mhz are you using? Model/Serial No. that indicate its SMP ENABLED?

wHAT IS A Greenie ?

Specifications(size)/Locations of REGULATORs/CAPACITORS that need to be changed.

How do you mean by REWIRING the ZIF sockets??

what is the LATEST bios (that you are using?

BP6RV128.bin ?

If possiblem,please supply photos on how its done.
Or supply info on where to get such info on this web site?

Just curious. with over 2GHz in computation power, but a not so fast FSB, what kind of video card are you using. (a universal 4X AGP with 2X notch?) What kind/version of games you can play with and at what resolution ?

gbltong
gbltong

Post by gbltong »

To jaybird:

I have a spare BP6 to play with.

Can you supply info on:

What FC-PGA socket PIII 1100Mhz are you using? Model/Serial No. that indicate its SMP ENABLED?

wHAT IS A Greenie ?

Specifications(size)/Locations of REGULATORs/CAPACITORS that need to be changed.

How do you mean by REWIRING the ZIF sockets??

what is the LATEST bios (that you are using?

BP6RV128.bin ?

If possiblem,please supply photos on how its done.
Or supply info on where to get such info on this web site?

Just curious. with over 2GHz in computation power, but a not so fast FSB, what kind of video card are you using. (a universal 4X AGP with 2X notch?) What kind/version of games you can play with and at what resolution ?

gbltong