These noisy fans

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
maddaddy

These noisy fans

Post by maddaddy »

I have a dual mobo Asus cuv4xd with PIII 1ghz. The FEP32s are really noisy. Is there anyway to put a resister in line with the connector and fan without blowing the fan header like what would happen with the BP6? Ive tried the Asus mobo utility and motherboard monitor but I don't like those programs running in the background stealing clock cycles and memory. :roll:
Cpl Rampage

Post by Cpl Rampage »

here check out this http://www.fanbus.com
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Ah, the "7V trick".

I have all my fans running off a 7V supply and it makes a huge difference in terms of noise while having negligable effect on cooling.

Mine looks a lot tidier than that though! I modified an old pass-through cable by prising the pins out of the molex plugs and reinserting them where required.

You just have to be careful not to inadvertantly power your disk drives from the 7V supply.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
24seven
IRC Lurker

Post by 24seven »

The other thing to try is get two 60mm to 80mm fan adapters and use two 80mm fans.
maddaddy

Post by maddaddy »

What do you do with the connecters on the Motherboard? Are they 5v or 3.3v? Will this work?
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Some pictures I took today of my "7V Trick" adaptor.

As I said earlier, I butchered an old pass-through cable to make it. The pins in the molex plugs can be removed and swapped around by squashing the retaining clips on the pins with a small screwdriver. Having removed them, the clips must be bent back into shape before reinserting them into the correct holes.

The adaptor is then placed inbetween the PSU and the fans you want to run off the reduced 7V supply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
Billl

Post by Billl »

You think your system is noisy now? Try a couple of these out!
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/re ... 9JRD0xMjE3

Billl