Recapped board going to heaven??

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
purrkur
Linux Guru

Recapped board going to heaven??

Post by purrkur »

Strange things are happening with my BP6. This is the board I replaced the fan header transistors on and I have recapped it (all 1000µF and 1500µF caps have been replaced). This board has now been functioning like a champ although my 366's haven't been all that happy at 550MHz.

I was doing some testing to satisfy my curiosity yesterday and clocked it down to 366MHz. It got pretty late so what I did was go to sleep without bothering to reboot it at 95MHz FSB which is what I have been running it at.

I just got home and lo and behold, strange things are happening! The first thing I noticed is that both fan speed values are dead. They are showing zero. Second thing I noticed is that the temperature on my CPU's is hovering around 45 degrees Celcius!!!! They are usually steady at under 30 degrees or so when idle and may reach those temperatures if I am working the system hard!

Whats going on here? My voltage values can't be any better. Here is what sensors is showing me:

Code: Select all

VCore 1:   +2.00 V  
Vtt:           +1.49 V  
+3.3V:      +3.30 V  
+5V:         +5.05 V  
+12V:       +12.22 V  
-12V:        -11.78 V 
-5V:          -5.05 V  
V5SB:        +5.11 V  
VCore2:     +2.02 V  
CPU2 fan:   0 RPM  
CPU1 fan:   0 RPM  
CPU1 temp:+45 C  
CPU2 temp:+44.5 C  
MB temp:   +47.5 C  
vid:           +2.000 V  
The CPU's must be drawing current like crazy. I guess Jeff isn't the only one who will end up with a broken BP6 :( I need to shut it down now before I burn up those CPU's.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Were the fans still running? From the temps, I would guess they weren't. Check to see if they run when the board is on, check to see if other fans run in their place or try the fans in another box to see if they turn on. My guess is that since they both went at the same time (an unlikely event), something is wrong with the fan headers.

A temporary fix might be to rewire the fans so that they come off of the PSU itself, and not the board (however, this does prevent you from monitoring their speed. I think the three wires on the header are +12, ground and signal, but I don't know the order, and I don't have time to look it up right now).

Jeff
"If it ain't broke, mod it till it is"
They said... and now my BP6 needs new processors... D'oh
Slackware Linux v10.1
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Thanks guys. After posting I went through the painful process of ripping the computer apart yet again. Sigh.

The headers are burnt out once again for some reason. The fans were standing still.

Raffnix: Thanks for the info. I have a special adapter for driving fans that connects to one of the four-pin adapters from the PSU so that is not a problem. I will also look into the possibility of reading the speed even though the fan headers are bust. It shouldn't be too much of an issue (just a lot of wires all over the place). The bad part is that I can't regulate the speed of the fans through software.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

double post :(
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC