Is PIII mod worthwhile??

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Nutz

Is PIII mod worthwhile??

Post by Nutz »

I have a Tyan dual PIII 866EB along with my BP6, do you think it's worthwhile to mod my BP6 to take PIII's?
Like fiddeling around with a solering iron and are sufficiently skilled.
Im thinking that even 100-108 * 6.5 would bring quite a boost in performance over those Celly's but dont know if it's worth all the troubble.
But would like to see the performance on the BX.

If I do it then I'll need two new CPU's for my Tyan box which was the plan anyway.

Whats your take on this??
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

If it won't cost you anything significant, it's a fun thing to do. I upgraded my bp6 to two 850s last year. Still use it as a FreeBSD workstation for OpenGL development. It's actually the most pleased I've ever been with the board, since now it's stable.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Re: Is PIII mod worthwhile??

Post by RRLedford »

Nutz wrote:I have a Tyan dual PIII 866EB along with my BP6, do you think it's worthwhile to mod my BP6 to take PIII's?
Like fiddeling around with a solering iron and are sufficiently skilled.
Im thinking that even 100-108 * 6.5 would bring quite a boost in performance over those Celly's but dont know if it's worth all the troubble.
But would like to see the performance on the BX.

If I do it then I'll need two new CPU's for my Tyan box which was the plan anyway.
Nutz, it sounds like you plan to do a hand-me-down of the 866EBs from the Tyan to the BP6 & retire the Cele1s from the BP6, getting new CPUs for the TYAN ? How much can you boost the Tyan speed with new CPUs?
The Tyan's 866EBs will run their rated speed only at 133MHz FSB speed. If you put them in the BP6, you'll get maybe (110/133)*866=700+MHz(x2).
Yeah, this is a step up from your Dual Cele1s.
Here's a thought - you should think about the single P-III/1100E+Neo370 upgrade. No soldering! Easily gets to 110MHz FSB=>1.21GHz!
You can sell the (2) 866EBs & cover the cost of the P-III/1100E.
Now you are close to the combined 1.4GHz of the dual 866EB@700+MHz w/o the risk of mods (alot quieter too W/ one CPU).
You can still do the mods to get dual 1.21GHz P-IIIs later. If I'm going to do the Dual P-III mods, I want to reach at least 2.2+GHz combined CPU power at the end of that tunnel!! I've done (2) of my (3) BP6 systems already & they both handle the P-III @110MHz FSB OK. Doing my 3rd one this week. Early next year I'm going to mod the 1st one for Dual P3s @1.2+GHz. What do you think?