overclock a 2x466 mhz ????

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

I am assuming you are keeping the 466's and not thinking of getting any new processors. To overclock smoothly all you need to do is:

hold down "del" after turning on your computer
enter the "CPU Softmenu II" screen
change cpu type to "User Defined"
Change multiplier to "7"
Change "Speed Error Hold" to "Off"
Change the FSB speed to whatever you want I would advise starting at 72MHz & seeing how your chips go.
Exit the CPUSoft Menu II screen
Save the changes and exit

You should now have a nice overclocked system. Keep moving the FSB higher until you meet problems.

Alternatively you can use the BP6 FSB utility in windows http://bp6.gamesquad.net/bp6fsb.phtml
Florek

Harddisk crash.

Post by Florek »

tomatoeboy wrote: hold down "del" after turning on your computer
enter the "CPU Softmenu II" screen
change cpu type to "User Defined"
Change multiplier to "7"
Change "Speed Error Hold" to "Off"
Change the FSB speed to whatever you want I would advise starting at 72MHz & seeing how your chips go.
Exit the CPUSoft Menu II screen
Save the changes and exit
Hi, I'm new here and I don't know much about tweaking BP6. I've got dual cel 466 and I tried to do all the steps listed above. While I had FSB set to 72Mhz everything was fine. The temperature was bit higher but it was ok. When I tried to set the FSB to higher rate (like 75 or 78 I don't remember) system started normally (XP) but after few seconds it crashed. When I tried to reboot I noticed that my harddisk file system was damaged. The only thing I could do was to format my hardrive. Is it normal???
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

If you are going to experiment with overclocking your BP6 & your are running Win-XP, there is a good chance that the HPT366 controller will choke before the CPU does, and even trash your hdisk too. The Promise ATA100 controller card is way better & often allows much higher OC speeds!
Win-XP running HPFS is very fragile and does not eadily recover from many disk crashes. Some crashes will report that CHKDSK.EXE needs to be run - yet there is no method of booting that can let you avoid the Blue Screen & let you run CHKDSK.
A crash I had was eventually fixed by CHKDSK.EXE in just over one minute. BUT, in order to boot the system I had to install Win-XP on a 2ND Drive with a FAT32 partition. Then I had to re-register my WIn-XP, explaining why the re-install. Then I could rename the HPFS.SYS file to block it from loading to eliminate the Blue Screen. Then I could plug in the messed up drive in the 2nd IDE channel & run the CHKDISK fix.
This was what Microsoft support told me was my only option for running CHKDSK to see if the drive was fixable! Thank God it did get fixed & no reinstall was needed! But the amount of work needed just to run CHKDSK! This is so absurd - even WIn3.0 was better than this.
Last edited by RRLedford on Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

tomatoeboy wrote:. To overclock smoothly all you need to do is:
hold down "del" ...
... Change multiplier to "7"

Alternatively you can use the BP6 FSB utility in windows http://bp6.gamesquad.net/bp6fsb.phtml
tomatoeboy, You can skip the multiplier setup -AS IT IS LOCKED INSIDE THE CPU AND NOT ALTERED BY THE BIOS SETUP. Only the xxxMHz FSB (Frontside Bus Speed) setting affects the final result. This is why the slower Celerons (300,366) make better overclockers, because they let you go up to 100MHz and beyond before the CPU internal core hits its limit of 550-600MHz. The faster Celerons hit their max core speed way before ever getting close to 100MHz. Having to run at around 75MHz really chokes up the rate at which data can move IN/OUT if the CPU.
bjerkvig

Post by bjerkvig »

My 2*466 have been going nicely with the FSB on 82 going 574 MHz. Giving it just a tiny bid more have trashed the harddisk a couple of times. I have not tried with the Promise installed but that might be nice. :wink:
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

RRLedford wrote: tomatoeboy, You can skip the multiplier setup -AS IT IS LOCKED INSIDE THE CPU AND NOT ALTERED BY THE BIOS SETUP.
Cheers, RRLedford. I never knew that. I knew that it wasn't possible to actually change the multiplier but wasn't aware that you didn't have to make sure the board knew what it was. Kinda make you wonder why its there, I suppose that its just used to calculate/display the CPU speed on POST.

Oh yeah, one of the risks you run when OC'ing is that it will mess up various other parts of your setup... don't ask me how many times my disk has been trashed. I will get round to getting a promise card at some point when I've got a job & money :D
kylewo0

92Mhz fsb??

Post by kylewo0 »

Wow Supai, thats pretty good.. I have 2 466's that i cant seem to get above 550. I went to 600 and the cpu wants to restart right before windows appears. I tired different votages and it acted like it wanted to run but i cant seem to get it. Any help?
Hey, Don't Be Talking About My Motherboard -ADULT SWIM
Wolfram

Re: overclock a 2x466 mhz ????

Post by Wolfram »

yopyop wrote:after checking on the web if adapators could be used in smp mods, and after learning that this way is clearly difficult, i would like to know which is the best way to overclock "smoothly " my fabulous BP6 w/ my 2x 466 celerons.

I mean i can not take too much risk as i use some CAO/DAO applications and my system might function at 100 %.
regards
I would not overclock that system if I was you. The only way is FSB overclocking, which means that the PCI bus and the PCI/IDE interface are overclocked as well if you don´t go directly to 100 Mhz FSB (meaning 700 Mhz CPU clock for you, which is almost impossible, for the Celeron core usually 600 Mhz is the end).

If the PCI/IDE bus is overclocked, you can get data corruption on your harddrives, especially- like RRLedford pointed out- if the disks are connected to the HPT366. I once had this with an old IBM DHEA 8,4GB drive at 41,5 Mhz PCI / 83 FSB clock. All content lost. The drive had already problems at 37,5 PCI/ 75 Mhz FSB.

_If_ you´re going to risk it anyway, I would recommend 75 Mhz FSB as a maxiumum, resulting in 525 Mhz CPU clock. But again, I wouldn´t do that if you can´t afford to lose data.

Best regards,

Wolfram
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
MTRH

Post by MTRH »

I also have 2x466c, they are right behind eachother in production, numbers on the CPUs are xxx1 & xxx2 :)
I have serious problems with stability as I try to overclock, so I am thinking of replacing a whole lot of caps on the board aswell as adding chip cooling to most chips that may catch heat.
I can OC each CPU to 100MHz, but together not more than 75MHz 2/3 before my system gets unstable and eventually hangs.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

MTRH wrote:I also have 2x466c, they are right behind eachother in production, numbers on the CPUs are xxx1 & xxx2 :)
I have serious problems with stability as I try to overclock, so I am thinking of replacing a whole lot of caps on the board aswell as adding chip cooling to most chips that may catch heat.
I can OC each CPU to 100MHz, but together not more than 75MHz 2/3 before my system gets unstable and eventually hangs.
So you _can_ clock your Celerons to 700 Mhz :shock: !?!

Impressive! No CRC-Errors or Crashes under 100% load? Cooling? Core voltage?
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
kylewo0

Post by kylewo0 »

Ive got my bp6 running at 80fsb 550mhz(2) and itz running perfect, the temps are around 38-42 I think, Whats the advantages and disadvantages of using The FSB utility in windows vs bios? also while Overclocking my system does it effect the graphics chip any?? Im trying to get the best performance i can out of this !!Machine!! I read that O/C puts stress on your hardware,,, so would it not be wise to o/c both my chips and graphics card chip??? any suggestions please
thanks
Hey, Don't Be Talking About My Motherboard -ADULT SWIM
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

80 FSB overclocks the PCI bus from standard 33 Mhz to 40 Mhz. If your system runs fine, ok. I´m not sure about long-term damage. Some people claim it´s possible, some deny it.

However, you should know that overclocking the PCI bus on the BP6 also overclocks your AGP slot and your IDE interface. You can run into major problems like data corruption. I once had an IBM DHEA 8GB, which ran fine at 75 FSB / 37,5 PCI but completely wrecked the file system at FSB 83 / 41,5 PCI. At 100 FSB (on the BP6, from 9x(?) on) the FSB is divided by 3, so the PCI bus runs at 33 Mhz again.

If you overclock your machine just for fun, keep it like it is, but watch out for data corruption. If you do serious work on that PC, do not overclock the PCI bus.

Best regards,

Wolfram
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

This is why the Cele1-300 & 366 are better CPUs to use for OCing with the BP6! Instead of topping out at around 80MHz and having the PCI slots running at the ragged edge, you end up in the 92-100MHz FSB range where the PCI rins at 1/3 the CPU clock. Not to mention the boost from having the RAM clocked closer to 100MHz.