@#$%*! Capacitors

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

BCN wrote:it just showed wrong the CPU speed in bios (more than it was, but at the end it just showed wrong
The only evidence I have seen of that is when I was running my 533's@576MHz. When booting up the machine, BIOS would say that it found 2x550MHz CPU's. I didn't bother with that though because the OS always reported the correct speed (Linux, that is). Windows is more heavily dependent on BIOS so I guess it matters more there. But with my current setup it is reporting the correct speeds and everything is fine and dandy!

But thanks for the tip on the GF2MX though. It is good to have these things in mind in case I run into issues. I got myself a Matrox G400 as well (which is a great card to have under Linux but a bit old) so I can always switch if I have to.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

phaedrus: How's it going buddy? You haven't given us an update lately.

As for me, things didn't quite turn out as expected. I have recapped my board and it is extremely stable, with rock solid voltaged values but the funny thing is that my 366's are not happy at 100MHz FSB. Go figure. So I have been running the board at 95MHz FSB instead and there it is stable. I am still considering some options.

I have also bought myself two new coolers that might allow me to use CPU's on my other BP6. I will experiment with that as soon as I have time.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

purrkur wrote:phaedrus: How's it going buddy? You haven't given us an update lately.
I've been out of town quite a bit the last two weeks. I got to do a bunch of backpacking over spring break.

I got around to testing some more, and I guessed wrong about the diode mod. I highly suggest against it. It looks like the CPUs fried. One of them boots, but is unstable (and it only boots at 433), and the other one won't POST. Both in the board causes a kernel panic on boot. So, I'm up a creek at the moment.

I'm thinking about trying to get another pair of CPUs, but I told myself I'm not buying new hardware until my financial situation stabilizes (meaning: get a steady paycheck after I graduate, ugh).
purrkur wrote:As for me, things didn't quite turn out as expected. I have recapped my board and it is extremely stable, with rock solid voltaged values but the funny thing is that my 366's are not happy at 100MHz FSB. Go figure. So I have been running the board at 95MHz FSB instead and there it is stable. I am still considering some options.
Good luck. I'm out of ideas for the moment. Hopefully, I can resusitate the board.

Jeff
"If it ain't broke, mod it till it is"
They said... and now my BP6 needs new processors... D'oh
Slackware Linux v10.1