Intel Vanderpool/VT technology

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
purrkur
Linux Guru

Intel Vanderpool/VT technology

Post by purrkur »

Interesting link on Intels VT technology

I specifically like this quote coming from Intel:
Think of users running a Windows-based media server, one on VT-hosted virtual machine, while playing a 3D game in a second Windows instance on a second virtual machine, Frank Spindler, Intel's industrial technology programs director, said yesterday. That way if the game hangs, you don't lose the server functionality.
Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it. I think that this virtual machine stuff will be extremely dependent on hardware resources so I doubt that you can have many high-performance VT's going at one time.

Second issue is what will Microsoft think? Will they legally allow users to install a second instance of XP on their machine without paying? Of course most people don't care but MS is cracking down on illegal use of Windows and I can only assume that they will increase that activity in the future.

The good thing about this is of course that people can mess around with Linux without going dual boot or second computer. That way they can have best of both worlds - and Linux will get a larger coverage on the desktop.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Billl

Post by Billl »

I tend to agree with you about only one side locking up. I'd have to see that to believe it reboot half the system, YA RIGHT!

But I do have to say I've been pretty impressed with the P4 I built. I was pretty leary about a virtual processor. But I must say this thing has really impressed me. It really acts like it has two processors. Does SETI work units 2 at a time with only a slight degradation in time. I've played games on this thing while it was still crunching with barely any slow down in work unit times. Thats pretty impressive. So who knows maybe they can pull it off. Time will tell.

Billl