Dodgy Highpoint controller?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
level23

Dodgy Highpoint controller?

Post by level23 »

Hi there, just lately, I have been getting HPT366 Timeouts on the second channell, (using primary of both only). and this seems to cause the hard drive to go 'clink' every now and then.

Have checked drive previously, and was OK, now have 'some' bad clusters.

Might be the drive, but as I did experience a similar problem to this before, am leaning towards the controller.

Have updated the drivers to the latest. Seemed to fix the problem for a while, but now back to the occasional time out and sometimes 'lock up'

Have a feeling the board needs some service, as have noticed lower voltages on CPU2 lately.

Anyone have any ideas?

Am thinking of sending to Abit, as I have read some good reports about their BP6 repairs.

I live in Australia, distributor is AllTech. Anyone have any comments re sending for service, especially in Australia?

Regards.
"Gort, Klaatu borada nikto!"
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Are you overclocking?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Hello level23!

Have a good poke around the messageboard and search for "HPT366". You will see that this has been reported several times before, with data losses and permanent physical damage to hard disks when using the HPT.

You may prefer to do what I and many others do and abandon the HPT366 controller altogether. I bought a Promise ATA/100 controller card and use that instead.

Although some have had success with the HPT controller, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-